Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Day Menu

Lane and I aren't really that big on Valentine's Day. Maybe we're just too practical to go out to dinner on a night when every other couple is out as well. We feel rushed and like we spend too much money. This is why we usually just cook ourselves an extra special dinner and enjoy it together at home.

Lane usually isn't a big lamb eater, so I was surprised when he picked out a lamb roast for V-day dinner. I marinated it in red wine, dijon mustard, fresh mint, fresh rosemary, some thyme and salt and pepper. Unfortunately, I had a minor incident while cutting the rosemary. I missed the herbs and sliced a nice chunk of my middle finger off instead. After stopping to apply some pressure, putting into use some new breathing techniques I've been reading about, and bandaging my wound, I got back to work.

We also roasted some onions. This is one of Lane's favorite's that we learned from my brother, David. You take a whole sweet onion, and slice it almost half way down on both sides, so there are slits in it, but it's still together on the bottom. Put some slices of butter in the slits, some beef bouillon on top and a little more butter. Then wrap them in foil and cook them in the oven for about an hour. The onions are so tender and sweet, and taste like onion soup. mmm.

We made mashed potatoes with red potatoes, dumped some fresh spinach, fresh parsley, and some bacon I cooked up and whipped them all together until they were so nice and fluffy. The secret ingredient in these is sour cream.

I also sauteed up some asparagus and mushrooms together. They were delish. Over Lane's beer and my glass of milk (in a wine glass - Lane is so silly), we decided it was about our tenth Valentine's day together. But now that I actually get technical about it, I realize it was really our twelfth!!

Lane is my bestest friend. He takes such good care of me - even when I'm a crazy pregnant lady, we always have so much fun together, and I just know he's going to be a wonderful daddy.

3 comments:

kljackson15 said...

My stomach is growling like crazy. What a delish, unique, and romantic meal! Glad it was a good day.

morethangray said...

Aw, I'm glad to hear you two enjoyed your night in. Cooking together makes so much more sense for a romantic dinner.

Congrats on 12 years, lady. That's rad.

Anonymous said...

I have started to notice that reading your blog comes with a price attached...hunger! Even if the actual post isn't about food, there is one near by that I notice and remember every time I visit. I think I am going to have to start viewing at strategic times. :)