Thursday, August 28, 2014

Gabriela's Frida Party

Way back in October, when I was supposed to be planning Easton's birthday party, Gabriela totally threw me off track.  She came up to me and announced out of nowhere, that she would be having a Frida Kahlo birthday party when she turned six.  I was so proud of my little girl.  After all, every year that is not a princess party is a win in my book.  But then I started to feel a little disappointed in myself.  Wait a minute, why didn't I ever think up this brilliant plan?!?! The miracle was that she stuck with this theme, by the time her birthday rolled by in July.

And so the planning began.  I got a set of Frida postcards with photos of her and copies of her paintings. I hung them up everywhere. I gathered all things Frida that we have - art sets, coloring books, paper dolls, children's stories,you name it!



And back in May, while out on a wine stroll, my sister-in-law, Meliss, just happened to spot some Frida fabric.  I bought some, not having any idea what we would use it for. But as soon as Gabriela saw it, she asked if I would make her a dress with it for her birthday. Done and done.

We had Frida tattoos and stickers for the kids, and some of them colored the Frida pictures we copied for the party. But I was bummed that the kids weren't really into the other activities I had planned.  We had a game of Loteria all ready to go (Mexican Bingo), chalk for kids to draw murals on the wall, like Frida's husband, Diego Rivera, and I also set up a painting station so kids could paint their portraits like Frida.  Um, they ran screaming back and forth through the house and yards instead, playing Zombie.  At least they had fun!



For years, Gabriela has been begging me for a piñata at her birthday party.  We figured, the Mexican themed party was the year to do it.  I was so nervous that someone would get hurt or get their feelings hurt, but it went much more smoothly than I had imagined.  We put little Mexican flags in the mini birthday cupcakes and, well, I forgot that I made a ton of mini popsicles to pass out for the kids.

The party was a hit. I am so glad it turned out as fun and festive as it did.  Gabriela dressed like Frida, from her handmade headdress, to her dress, and jewelry.  I dressed up also. 


I was half way hoping Gabriela would abandon her headdress so I could wear it but she kept it on the whole day!
Easton didn't want to be left out of the fun either. 

No comments: