Monday, September 21, 2009

Weekend Report

Saturday morning Gabriela had plans for a play-date with her friend Francesca at the zoo. Unfortunately, we were running late and then ended up parking the parking lot furthest from the zoo entrance, so we arrived at our meeting place 30 minutes late. Of course, I didn't have Kristin's cell phone number to let her know we were running late. Luckily, we found each other shortly after that and had a fun day at the zoo together. I wish I had gotten some good pictures. Gabriela and Francesca gave each other kisses. Her favorite animals were the gorillas and lions. Gabriela waved to them like, "Hi, remember me??" It was so darling.

Sunday we had our friends Bill & Julie and Patti over for a fabulous carnitas burrito dinner. Fabulous, that is, until the smoke detector went off. All was going well when Gabriela did the potty sign. I took her to the bathroom and was sitting on the floor reading books with her. I took off her long dress and tossed it up on the bathroom counter from the floor. All of a sudden poor little Gabriela practically jumped out of her skin when the alarm started sounding. I grabbed her, poopy bottom and all, and ran to the other room where it was a little more quiet. The boys were trying to make the alarm stop, and when it did, we returned to the bathroom where Gabriela's dress was on fire. It was only a teeny fire, but nevertheless, on fire. So, while holding Gabriela, I put the dress in the sink and turned on the faucet to stop the flames. I didn't realize that Lane had lit a candle in the bathroom - what are the chances that I'd inadvertently place the dress directly on an open flame???

I was so sad that it was ruined and immediately threw the charred dress away. Only later did I think that maybe I could have salvaged at least part of it and turned it into a skirt or something, but alas, it was too late. Nothing like a little extra excitement at dinner time.

1 comment:

banananutmeg said...

holy moly! you guys throw a rockin' dinner party! sad about the dress, though. A friend of mine hd the cutest idea to save her favorite and memorable baby clothing pieces to make a patchwork quilt she could snuggle up in once the kids have grown and left for school. cute, huh!