Monday, May 11, 2015

Simone's Donation Drive

Today our family went to the hospital where Simone was born to drop off our donations. 354 books, 52 handprint kits, over $4,900 worth of items.

I was so glad Lane was able to sneak away from work to join us. It was really important for me that we all be there. 

By the time I got to the room, the staff had already arranged all our packages so beautifully. They looked amazing all set up. They had refreshments, some flowers for me, and I brought a picture of Simone and one of her footprints to display. 

Gabriela asked me if any babies would die today at the hospital. I told her I sure hoped not. But whenever that does happen, the family will get a package from our friends and family. 

The nurses were in awe of our donation. Gabriela asked if anyone had ever donated items like this before, something I never would have thought to ask. We learned that we were the first. They said some people had made financial contributions before, but nothing like this.

I am so glad we brought our kids. They mostly played and ate as many cookies as their hearts desired. But Gabriela talked with some of the nurses about her sister, how she felt right after Simone was born, and I just hope that they will remember what we did today, be proud of their participation, and know that we helped lots of families in honor of Simone.  

The hospital had their public relations person there, a photographer, and a reporter from the Oakland Tribune. It will be interesting to see what stories unfold from this. I am happy to share our story if it brings more awareness, support, and compassion to other families living through the loss of their babies. 

It was very moving and meaningful to share our story, talk about Simone, and know that, though her life was so short, through her we are giving hope to other families experiencing this tragic loss. Just like her name, Simone Esperanza. 

Happy birthday, baby girl. 

Nurses, social workers, a chaplain, and even the head of the neonatal department were all there to thank us and be a part of accepting our donation. 

They are all making a plan for how to work more closely together, ensuring that  all families who could benefit from these resources have access to them. I have also offered to give them a list of updated resources, so that information can be shared as well. 

The staff is all rooting for is with this pregnancy, and have asked that we let them know when we are back, so that they may visit us and our new baby. 

Being there at the hospital to do something positive, something so meaningful, really felt amazing. It gives me peace about returning there to birth another baby, knowing that my last experience wasn't tragic and heartbreaking, but really a gift. I didn't expect that at all. I am so grateful that, at least now, I don't feel anxiety or fear about returning to have another baby. 



1 comment:

heather said...

Please share the tribune article link if there's a link for it! would love to read it. I'm so happy for you and your family, Elena, and that your anxiety about returning to the hospital has been alleviated somewhat. That is a gift to be sure. I was also wondering what you plans were for this babe, not something I wanted to dive into via text. Love you all!