Monday, April 27, 2009

The Many Hidden Talents of my Husband


So a few days before I left for California, Lane made a German Chocolate Cake, you know, just cos. Our friend made one a couple months before for a party and Lane was so wowed he asked for the recipe. Now, we all know Lane is a baker, (by the way, I am going to post his cookie recipe soon – harass me if I don’t) but this was super fancy baking. He went to the store to buy special flour and special chocolate for his three layered cake with gooey coconut pecan icing; he even put it on a cake stand! What a super star baker!! Don’t worry, he took most of it to work to share.

Lane’s idea of planning weekend activities usually involves one simple move – asking me what we’re doing. He’s not much of a social coordinator. Or so I thought. The moment I left, this guy had plans practically every single night of the week. He had dinner with some friends, went to a re-opening of a bar, had dinner with other friends, went to a birthday party at a bar in Clarendon, played Frisbee and went out for ice cream, and some how managed to cook several really delicious dinners. I know, because the left overs were in the fridge!! Lane, honey, your secret is out. You are now appointed Grover Social Coordinator. I haven’t been doing such a snazzy job at that lately, anyhow.

But the very bestest, is that Lane’s cooking skills are getting fancier and fancier. He made me dinner over the weekend and it was out of this world. Lane marinated tri tip steaks, whipped up some succulent mashed potatoes with fresh herbs, sautéed fresh green beans with a mushroom reduction sauce, and roasted some sweet onions until they were all soft and juicy. He also served a spinach salad with fresh strawberries, pears, and goat cheese along with his home-made vinaigrette dressing! YUM!!! While I’m so proud of Lane, I’m not going to lie, I’m also proud of myself. Those cooking lessons are starting to pay off big time!!

1 comment:

Malia said...

you guys are absolutely ridiculous in the kitchen. Andrew and I are walking to Arby's for dinner:)