Sunday, November 30, 2008

SOO Much Cooking!

This weekend has been out of control in the cooking department. My poor husband got sick Wednesday night before Thanksgiving. So, instead of getting my Thanksgiving cooking started, I made him chicken soup. And then I made the spinach gratin and the turkey and the gravy and the mashed potatoes and the stuffing and the pumpkin crunch. Friday I made Turkey Soup. Saturday I made an enchilada casserole - quick and easy, way better than making individual enchiladas. Sunday I made a turkey salad with turkey, celery, dried cranberries, toasted almonds and apples with a dressing of plain yogurt and apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Then I got all Martha Stewart and roasted some butternut squash and cranberries with fresh grated nutmeg and blended it all up together in the food processor with GOAT CHEESE. mmmm. It's delicious and such a pretty color. What am I using this for, you ask? Ravioli filling. Don't worry, I'm totally cheating and making them using wonton wrappers. As if that weren't enough, I made more turkey stock and then made a turkey pot pie and used cornbread (from a box) as the crust. It turned out pretty tasty.

I'm just trying to use up all this turkey!! The extra enchilada sauce, the enchilada casserole, pot pie, turkey soup, and some of the ravioli are all in the freezer. It's my new thing. I love pulling something out of the freezer and having a delicious home cooked meal, even on the days when I'm tired and the last thing I want to do is go in the kitchen.

Tonight I plan on assembling more ravioli and cooking them in a browned butter sauce with fresh sage and pine nuts.

We are still eating Spinach Gratin and Stuffing and dessert too. Oh my goodness, the holiday season has begun!!

1 comment:

Patrick and Crystal said...

i want your enchilada casserole recipe. sounds really good!