Wednesday, September 21, 2011

To Boston, To Boston

My Baby Sister, Cynthia had a pretty big weekend at the beginning of September.  For starters, it was her birthday.  On her birthday, she defended her dissertation and got her Ph.D. from Harvard.  We are so proud of her.  We wanted so badly to be there for the graduation and party, but didn't think it was possible.  But then she decided to really go for the gold and get married that weekend too.  

Even after that, I wasn't sure we could go out there - I was 30 weeks pregnant and all. But the more I thought about it, the more I knew I'd regret not being there for her special day.  Especially after all the time we had spent video chatting about all the details.  So, I talked to the midwife and she gave me the okay to travel. Boston, here we come.  Pirate baby had to come too, obviously.
We chose a flight that I normally would have avoided like the plague.  2 layovers, at least 12 hours of traveling. BUT I figured the stops would be a good break so I could walk around and so Gabriela could get her crazies out.  Although she's traveled by plane a lot before, this was the first time she could remember (and her first flight since moving to CA).  She couldn't have behaved better!  It helped that I had a giant bag full of activities, snacks, books, dolls, and even some movies and special treats.  I couldn't have asked for a better behaved kiddo on the plane!!!

Now, I couldn't just choose a couple photos so please enjoy the tons of pics from (one of) Cynthia's big day(s).

The first night we stayed at the neighbors in the "pretty pink room". Gabriela was in heaven. I called her and she said, "I'm in my room getting ready!" This is where I found her brushing her hair. Such a princess sometimes.

Aww, look at my sweet sisters!
 
Excuse me, when did my little niece become all grown up? She's taller than all of us, a total beauty, and has the sweetest, biggest heart. It was wonderful to spend time with her. We had the most fun while having girl talk and getting our makeup done.  And maybe leaving the car keys in the boys bathroom. whoops.

My mom and Theresa.  My mom wore this same suit to MY wedding, 11 years ago. Rock it, mom!
Sisters! Okay, so we look kind of goofy in this pic, but as soon as my mom finished taking the photo, she announced that she cut all our heads off. Whoops.  You did okay, Mom :)

Christianne and her dad, looking good
Uncle Matthew and Banu.  They came from Wisconsin. So great to see them!
Cynthia, of course, was all smiles and happy go lucky.  I, on the other hand, was a sobbing mess the whole ceremony. I usually get pretty teary eyed at weddings, but this took the cake.  Maybe it was a baby sister plus pregnancy combo. Gabriela was getting a little worried about me and all my crying.
I had to correct Cynthia - this is not a booty shot, it's a hand holding picture. duh.
Mr. & Mrs. Daniel Purington!
Let me just say, the kids loved these mirrored walls. They were a hit. See for yourself!

What a sweet daddy :)
When Cynthia told me how much bouquets cost, I selflessly offered up Theresa's skillz to make her a bouquet.  It turned out perfectly. Yay Theresa!
My brother doing some sort of football move on my giant belly.

New bros

Tim almost didn't make it. We took him to the airport and then turned around to pick him back up because his flight was actually the day before. whoops. It was a nightmare, but we fixed the problem and made sure he got to Boston with the rest of us.
Can you believe all six of us kids were there in Boston and I didn't capture a picture of us all together? Lame.  Next time.  It will probably be a while, since Cynthia is moving to Switzerland for a new research job.

We had a great time in Boston and at Cynthia's wedding.  She had a very intimate ceremony, with just immediate family - about 30 people from both her side and Dan's. Then we went to this amazing restaurant for a wonderful dinner. The only thing that would have made it better was skipping the part when Gabriela rammed her head into the marble steps on the way in. 

We also got the chance to visit some of our DC peeps who recently moved to Boston. So great to catch up with them and see the kiddos playing together.

And if you haven't seen enough photos, or just want to see some professional ones, check these babies out: http://dianelouisephotography.com/cynthia-dan-wedding/

 And then we went home. This is how Gabriela traveled through the airport terminals, quite possibly her favorite part of the whole trip.  Daddy saved the day by handling all those bags, as I was pretty much useless.  Gabriela was an angel on all the flights home as well.  Such a sweet little traveler! So glad we went for it and made the trip out.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

I have got to say it was a pretty great trip. I didn't even think to get a picture of all of us.