Saturday, July 18, 2015

Gabriela's Harry Potter party

For her seventh birthday, Gabriela celebrated with a Harry Potter theme. We had so much fun planning together and making crafts in preparation for the big day.
We used a tutorial for wand making. Basically, you go to crazy town with the glue gun, paint it, and presto! You have wands! We passed out wands to everyone as they arrived, and presented them with a roll of parchment containing a list of spells and what they do. 

Gabriela helped Lane make our entrance to Platform 9 3/4. We used an old sheet, a sponge, and left over paint the color of our front door. 


I had so much fun putting together our Harey Potter mantle.


This last photo is of some of our ingredients for the potions table. The kids really  went for it with the potions! 
Potions table before: Colored vinegar, baking soda with sparkles, and dish soap which all made for some colorful, sparkly, sudsy, overflowing potions and giggles and gasps to go with them. 

See what I mean?

And here is the potions table after the kids had their fill of potion making, after multiple refills of baking soda and vinegar. 
I think it's safe to say they enjoyed themselves. 

We also blew up balloons so they could practice making things float in the air with their Wingardium Leviosa spells. 

Gabriela and I enjoyed choosing and putting up details all around the house including a restricted section of the library  

Some special touches to the bathroom 
Miss Moaning Myrtle, herself. 
Enemies of the heir, beware!

We made a Mirror of Erised with gold tape framing, and Fluffy the three headed dog guarded my messy bedroom. 
Dessert included Hedwig cupcakes, butterbeer, and chocolate covered wizard wands. 
Now there's a happy birthday girl! And as people left, we passed out homemade chocolate frogs. 

Lane was feeling the Harry Potter spirit; now it's time to rest. he dressed like a wizard trying to disguise himself as a muggle. And, well, he totally nailed it. 

As I write this post, my kids are watching the first Harry potter movie. They really wore themselves out being wizards all day, casting spells, making potions, and enjoying treats from the wizarding world. 

Gabriela came and thanked me for giving her such a wonderful party. I enjoyed every moment of putting this celebration together for her. Even if I was up at the emergency room all night trying to get my scratched cornea treated. On my birthday. That's mama love. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I love that spunky, sensational seven year old of mine. And now it's time to rest. If only I knew a spell that would clean up after the party. That would be truly magical.