Thursday, May 24, 2007

Great Succeeeess! (Lane says, "high fiiiive!")

When we were in California I lived off the bbq grill in the summer. I cooked every part of every meal outside, quickly and wonderfully, and all the while kept my house at a decent temp. Bbq food is comfort food to me. I'm not talking hotdogs and hamburgers i'm talking medium rare steaks, grilled eggplant, corn, potatoes, grilled pizzas, marinated chicken, grilled garlic bread. mmm. We would have massive bbq fiestas with my family, bring out the guitars and play and sing. In fact, when we went back last month and my mom asked me what i wanted her to make, there was no question: bbq madness, of course!

You can't imagine how devastated I was to learn that we weren't allowed to use bbq grills at our first apartment in VA. Or worse yet, that we were moving to a 12th floor apartment with NO balcony, so we had to get rid of the grill all together. Don't worry, we found a wonderful loving home for it.

Well, there are two small grills in the patio of our two building, 12 floors each apartment complex. We tested the grill and I couldn't have been happier! Foil pouches of pesto potatoes and new york steaks cooked to perfection. We brought down some fresh pineapple and bread and cheese to enjoy while we cooked on the grill. It was getting dark, warm, with a gentle breeze, and the birds were still chirping. The only thing missing was a glass of my dad's wine.

my one concern now is securing a grill spot on one of the two grills as the summer season kicks in over the next few weeks. Wish me luck, as I plan on re-mastering the art of grilling.

better get back to packing for our trip...

1 comment:

kljackson15 said...

I am starving. When are you going to have your own cooking show? I'm glad Lane's birthday bbq turned out so well :) Have a blast this weekend!