Friday, July 6, 2007

Finalmente

I have been waiting for this moment for quite some time. One of the things I miss most about home is real authentic Mexican food. No, not Chevy's and not Chipotle, or other imposter "mexican" food, but the real deal. To be quite honest, I'd actually almost given up - if I wanted Mexican food, I was going to just have to make it myself. Today, thanks to a lovely former-California Red Crosser, I have found this precious jewel.

I volunteer as a tour guide of the historic Red Cross building right across from the White House. Through this program, I met a really nice girl who works in another department. As soon as she learned I was from CA she asked if I really missed real Mexican food. Hello!! How did she know I'd been on a quest to find an authentic taqueria all this time!?!? Well, today we went to lunch in Adam's Morgan to Pepito's Panaderia and got some tacos. They were the steamed double corn tortilla kind with el pastor meat with lime wedges and pico de gallo and everything! They had horchata and jarritos, I even had to order in Spanish... it was like I was transported back home. I cannot wait to try their burritos! If they are anything like the tacos, they will be amazing.

2 comments:

Scott said...

I am so happy for you. I know things were dark for a while. You should hold your head high. Finding a good taqueria or panaderia outside of California is something of a holy grail. Eat up, but don't forget the Super Taq's, Gaeta's, and El Gruillense's that you were raised on. Never forget where you came from.

kljackson15 said...

Congrats on your find! I think I'll have to try this place...my stomach is growling!