Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day

On Sunday morning, Gabriela handed Lane the valentine she and I made for him while he was working on Friday. She was so sweet. She called, "Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaddeeeeeee" and walked up and handed him his homemade I Love You card with heart stickers she artfully placed.

While Gabriela and I took a luxuriously long nap, Lane went to the grocery store, placed vases of tulips in different spots in the apartment, and started making a glorious Valentine's dinner.

Rib eye roast, yukon gold mashed potatoes, sauteed green beans and mushrooms and honey balsamic glazed butternut squash!!! Wow, am I proud of Lane and his amazing culinary skills! I was so bummed, I forgot to use our homemade heart placemats from my awesome sister-in-law, Meliss!

As much as I enjoyed eating a fabulous dinner without planning or cooking it, I started to feel funny about not having a job in the kitchen, so I decided to make dessert. Remember over the summer when we bought a 10 lb box of peaches? Well those frozen peaches came in handy in a delicious peach pie! I was especially proud of the crust - thank you very much, Cooks Illustrated. Having peach pie in the dead of winter convinced me to buy more peaches for freezing this summer.

As a follow up to our dinner date, we went on a movie date on Monday. Our dear friend Katie watched Gabriela while Lane and I went to the movies together for the first time since before she was born! It was a treat.

2 comments:

Grandpa Grover said...

You guys are doing it right!

Barrett, Melinda, Angel Trinity, and Baby Zander said...

YUMMY!!!! The food looks goooooood!!!!