Thursday, August 6, 2015

Summer Fun, Week 10

Saturday Gabriela woke up and, as usual, grabbed for a book. Lane and easton and I all decided to do the same and pretty soon, we were all spending our morning reading in bed. It was lovely. 

I stayed in bed later than everyone else and was pleasantly surprised when Lane brought me some breakfast in bed, which enabled me to stay there and relax even longer. 

Then, he took the kids to the pool for the entire afternoon. I cleaned up the house, showered, rested, read some more, and started prepping dinner before they got back. 

Uncle Matthew and Auntie Cynthia came for dinner and we grown ups hung out and played games after the kids went to bed. It was such a treat for me to feel relaxed and rested. 

Sunday was full of a certain girl of mine reading, reading, and reading some more. She also made a peach crisp, and helped me make a tomato sauce for our pizza that night.
Oh pizza. I love you, and my little pizza cutter too. 

On Monday I took the kids to the park so they could ride bikes and so I could get a little exercise. We need to pack up the bikes so they can ride more often. Easton especially adores riding his pedal bike. 

Easton really doesn't want to miss out on anything his sister does, so he has a few journals he is keeping, where he jots down random combinations of letters and asks me to read aloud what he has written. He also draws tons of hammerhead sharks and tells me things like, "this daddy shark is pretecting his family" or "this one with scary eyes crept out of the darkness!"

But Monday, he asked me how to spell "Simone died". I couldn't believe my baby. I wrote it down on a paper and gave it to him and then he did this

He is totally working on processing Simone's death still. I still can't believe that's what he wanted to write in his journal.  He comes up to people and just shares with them that his sister died. He tells me things like, "I am saving my Skuut bike for the baby in your tummy, but not Simone because she died so she can't ride a bike". 

That night, Easton fell asleep super early and Gabriela decided to bust into her new homeschool materials. She built this see saw all by herself. It was so exciting to watch her figure out how to put it together and how proud she was of herself.  

Tuesday morning we were miraculously out of the house by 7:30 so I could get my lovely glucose screening done. I knew we would be waiting for a long time at the office so I came prepared with books,
games, and paints, and dolls to keep my munchkins busy. They were very well behaved and we enjoyed some late breakfast afterwards at a cafe because mama was starving!! I dropped Gabriela off for the day at her friend's house and Special Mama Easton Day began. 

And then, to be honest, I could have done without Wednesday or Thursday. My normally sweet, loving seven year old was nothing like herself. She pushed me to my absolute limits leaving this mama in so many tears of frustration, anger, and hurt. 

We decided to stay home on Friday from park day, partly because I didn't think she deserved to go, but also because I knew we needed to spend that time home reconnecting with each other, instead of running around with friends. 

Our day was worlds better. We started out the day with our first "Friday Freewrite" session.  We had a topic and both of us were supposed to write for 10 minutes about our subject. This week's Brave Writer topic was to write down a conversation in which someone apologizes to you for something they have done to hurt you. Couldn't have been a more fitting topic after our last few days. Not only was it good practice, it gave us a good opportunity to talk about the choices we make and hurting people's feelings and how we all make bad behavior choices sometimes, including parents. 

After breakfast we sat down for some poetry teatime. 
This was the first time we'd done it, and it was a hit! By the end, Gabriela decided to copy poems down that she really enjoyed and later that day, she was proclaiming that she is a poet now, walking around with a pad of paper and jotting down original poems. Like this one:

Rainbow colors swirl in the sky
We look up and say goodbye. 

Look! The first fruit from any of our trees we planted in February. Peaches!
The kids were so excited that their chicken, Dark Vader, has started laying eggs, that they had eggs for lunch, along with our homegrown peaches of course. 

We started a new read aloud book, The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, since a mama in our group so kindly offered to coordinate a book club for our homeschoolers. I always enjoy reading aloud to my kiddos. It was a good way for us to spend time together happily and peacefully, which we so desperately needed after our midweek mishaps. 

Then we popped in at an art center to admire Gabriela's  friend's art work later that afternoon, stocked up on new-to-us books at the thrift store. I seriously love this place. Here's what we scored for $10 

After a dinner at a new restaurant, during which Gabriela wrote more poems, and even recited one to our server, we came home for round two of poetry teatime so Daddy could participate. 

No comments: