Monday, August 10, 2015

Summer Fun, Week 11

Saturday we got ready to have some dear friends and their two boys over for dinner. Late in the afternoon, Heather and I were chatting, and I mentioned she should come by, if she was around So, just like that I had six kids in our home, most of them running around like crazy, chasing each other, chasing the chickens,  making tons of noise, hardly eating any dinner, but having the time of their lives. I had a chance to catch up and visit with our friends. It was a lot of cooking and cleaning and totally worth it for the company and joy that was had. I realized that poor little Easton doesn't get together with friends his age much, and he is absolutely thrilled to spend time with his own buddies. 

Here they are for the approximately three minutes they were all actually sitting at the table. 

I guess I was going for the gold, because the very next morning, another friend and her two kids came to visit who we haven't seen in ages. My sister also happened to ask if she could come by with her two kids, so there I was with six kids running around the house again. They played blocks and trains and dress up and did messy potions outside, painted, climbed and played with the chickens. It was a little much for this giant pregnant mama. So when they both said I should just rest a little while. I couldn't help it, I closed my eyes and napped a little. Boy did I need it. 

Lane was gone all day visiting with his parents and Grandma Chaney who is weaker and in more pain, unable to eat or drink really. He said his last goodbyes to her. The kids made some new pictures for Lane to take with him. 


We had somewhat of a miracle on Monday with Gabriela's behavior. I was starting to wonder if her defiance, stubbornness and sassiness was due to not understanding her work, because, yes I am mean mom and insisting that we catch up on math over the summer. It was work I was certain she could do, but was just refusing to do it. But then I started wondering if she didn't understand after all. I found some fun, colorful, activities that she could use her body with too, and you know what? That girl did everything I asked her do without one single complaint or totally bogus "guess". She even said things like "this is actually kinda fun" and asked if we could officially start school early. We obviously have bad days around here, whether you go to school or homeschool there will be bad days. I had some that had me wondering if I was capable of handling the drama along with a baby and all my crazy post partum hormones that I am already terrified of.  So, I was especially thankful for this day of positive attitude and real learning. 

The kids are enjoying Poetry Teatime so much, they requested one after dinner on Tuesday. I have a feeling their love for this time has something to do with the goodies involved. But even Easton searches through books and recites poems. Gabriela was inspired to create a schedule for after dinner family activities. So far, she has teatime, game night, music night, drawing time, and movie night on her schedule.

Wednesday night we all picked a game to play together and put on some tunes. I'm really enjoying spending extra family time together, all four of us and hope we can keep the fun going. Although it has been leading to some late nights. 

Thursday started out with these kids dumping out the blocks and building a mansion together. 
They were so proud and worked so well together. After lunch we headed to the pool for several hours. There was hardly anyone there, and none of our friends. At first, Gabriela was disappointed, but she spent so much time playing with her brother in the water, something she never does. It was so sweet to see them giggling together, chasing each other, and Gabriela carrying Easton around.
 Easton gets really grumpy about being cold after he gets out of the pool so his big sister wrapped her towel around his feel and fed him bites of his apple so he could keep his arms covered.
Lane was already home when we arrived. We threw together some fresh springs rolls - my new favorite summer meal and melon. The kids aren't crazy about the rice paper wrapper but we discovered they both like them wrapped in lettuce. Family drawing time happened after dinner. The kids and I got out our Make a Plate kit and worked on some new designs. I found some we made when Gabriela was 2 that we never sent in. Time to get on that. 

We have so many fun homeschool games and we don't play them much so I am trying to have a game time on Friday mornings too. The kids picked Set and Spanish Bingo. They loved the bingo and asked to play a few rounds. It was so cute hearing Easton trying to pronounce his Spanish words. 

Our Friday park day was at the pool this week. We went right after lunch and for most of the afternoon, it was the homeschool pool. Our kids were the only ones there! They were racing each other, playing Marco Polo and just having a blast out there in the water together. Easton had some breaks from the water, preferring to snuggle up in a towel and listen to me read to him. 

As Gabriela and her new family fun schedule indicated. We had a movie night with Daddy that evening. 

Easton was so sweet, watching my belly and commenting excitedly when he saw it move. I asked him what he thought we should name this baby and after a little thought, he announced, "Blossom!" I don't think I've ever even heard him say that word before. He must have been proud of himself, because he wrapped his arms around my belly saying, "Blossom?! It's me, your big brother!" And for a "second name" Easton chooses Iguanadonna. Blossom Iguanadonna. I'm going to have to give it some thought. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay! i was waiting for this post. Next time, we'll make sure to help clean up before the meltdowns begin. :)