Saturday, August 22, 2015

Summer Fun Week 12


Saturday morning is always off to a good start when Daddy gets up to make homemade waffles for breakfast. Gabriela and I spent the rest of the morning reading while Daddy and Easton played train tracks. And then Uncle Matthew called to see if anyone wanted to go to Tuckers for ice cream. 

Um. Yes please. 

What an eventful afternoon we had back in Alameda. It all started with dessert first, just like Tucker's recommends. After all, life is uncertain. 

Gabriela suggested we visit Rocket Reuse next, where we can always find some new books for our library. It was there that she spotted these fancy shoes: 
Step aside, crocs. This girl just got fancified. Now, I didn't say she couldn't get them, but I did tell her to put them back. While I was outside, she came running up to me in utter disbelief and joy that Daddy was buying her the shoes! 
It's kind of hard to say no to this face. Anyway, it was five dollars well spent; just look at her!
We headed to south shore center next for an outdoor concert, which is on our summer fun list. 
The moment we arrived, Gabriela announced it was too loud for her, so we visited some other attractions of the evening: the bounce house and the face painting. Gabriela threw off the face painting lady by requesting a Statue of Liberty on her arm. The lady said no one had ever requested that, and did her best to come through on Gabriela's request. 
We popped in at bbq joint for drinks and appetizers next. Uncle Matthew and Lane had dude time and beers and the kids and I colored and enjoyed our treats across from them. 

The adventures didn't stop then; Lane and Gabriela headed off to the John  Muir House after dark to learn about the night sky, and spot some constellations with their high powered telescope. She came back spitting out names of constellations and excited at having seen the rings of Saturn. Easton and I tried to keep from melting in this heat and read our new books. His favorite is a poetry book about dragons, dinosaurs, and monsters. 

We headed to cooler, yet still quite hot weather in Berkeley for a birthday party and returned to stagnant thick heat of our house. Easton and I somehow napped the day away while Lane and Gabriela met our friends at the pool to cool off. 

Monday we had big plans to go to our friend's cabin in Inverness. I packed us all up, and couldn't find our keys anywhere after Lane had driven the van the previous day. I tore our whole house apart and finally just gave up. Gabriela was in tears, I nearly was. We had to start over so Easton and I napped, Gabriela watched a mid afternoon movie and Daddy came home early to save the day. He immediately found the keys, loaded us all up and sent us off. It ended up working out; I was no longer grumpy, I was rested and ready for the drive. We arrived just in time to enjoy dinner with our friends and relax at a campfire, roasting marshmallows for s'mores underneath the starry sky. 


Tuesday the kids rode bikes and then we had a lovely afternoon at Heart's Desire Beach. 
The girls brought their sketch pads so they could draw at the ocean. 
My sweet Eenie and me 

Spotting Bat Rays in the water

Easton and I collected rocks to make his name. 
This beach was perfect for a 30 week pregnant mama. No big hikes to the water, calm warm water so my kids could enjoy themselves without me worrying, shady spots, quiet and uncrowded.  Easton was all worn out. He fell asleep about 5 minutes into our drive home at 5pm and didn't wake until nearly 7 the next morning! We arrived home to a home cooked Daddy dinner, car unloading services, compliments of Daddy, and a quick poetry teatime. 

We visited our midwife on Wednesday and then headed over to Oakland to visit Auntie Liss and her boys. Beau taught Gabriela how to play monopoly while Easton taught himself how to shoot nerf guns and Meliss and I got to chat. It felt so comforting and restoring to visit with her. 

The kids and I did chores on Thursday, visited the library, and the park. 

Here are some pics Easton asked me to take of him this week. 


No comments: