Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Panama, Anniversary and Mina's Big Arrival



Last week I spent long days in arctic cold conference rooms of Panama city. It was a great opportunity to meet tracing caseworkers from other countries, talk about our cases, and exchange information. I knew I was doing well with my Spanish when people asked if I lived in Panama, or showed considerable shock when I told them I was from los Estados Unidos. Panama City was very strange - it was much more urban and Americanized than I expected. I did not expect to see Blockbuster Video, Dunkin Donuts or McDonalds, let alone Popeye's, Bennigans, or KFC. It was truly hard to find Panamanian food or culture in the city. So glad we spent an extra day there. Saturday we went to the Panama Canal, and also to Casco Viejo, the old city, where we found no chain restaurants, saw native people, and had the opportunity to buy some artisan goods.

Other things that happened in the last week:
My 7 year wedding anniversary with Lane. It really was sad to be away from him that day, but we were sure to spend a nice evening together before I left. I'm so lucky to have him in my life. We've been married for 7 years, together for 10, and have known each other for 17. wow.

While I was disappointed my new niece was a no-show for my birthday, I forgave her for arriving in time for my wedding anniversary. Mina was born to Tim and Kryzti at 9:29 am. She is so precious. I can't wait to meet her.

Harry Potter arrived just in time for me to take my book with me to Panama. I spent every free moment (on the plane, in the evenings, in the mornings, etc) voraciously reading. I finished on Friday. Afterwards, I was a little sad with the fact that it was truly over, but pleased with the book and how it ended.

By the end of the week I was so anxious to be back home, to be with Lane, and excited to be there early in the evening. My flight was supposed to arrive at 4:59 p.m. I didn't get to DC until after 10. ugh.

1 comment:

kljackson15 said...

I'm so glad you are back - I really missed you!!!

Can't wait to catch up.

Oh, and happy belated anniversary :)