Monday, August 27, 2007

Lost Opportunity

I’ve been saying for months, that as soon as the summer winds down, I’m going to search for a show to audition for. Now that we don’t live in Reston anymore, we are much closer to the community theatre scene, and have a number of theatres to choose from in DC, Arlington, and Alexandria. And, I’m ready to be back on stage.

It’s a process – first you have to see what theatres are in the area, then find out of a show is upcoming, decide if you like the plot, not to mention, see if there’s even a character for your age range, and finally, when the auditions are.

So today I find a theatre in DC, a show is upcoming in November, the plot sounds farcical, which I totally love, and the characters? Three women in the 20s to 30s age range, who can do British accents. In my last play, I had the opportunity to work on my accent. I’m excited here…So what’s missing? Oh, yeah, the audition dates – LAST Monday & Tuesday. If I had just checked this out seven days ago, maybe I would have had a chance!!

So I did something totally weird that probably will seem a little over the top to the director. I sent him an email just saying that I saw that auditions were last week, and that he probably has cast everyone already, but if he still had any openings, I would be happy to have the opportunity to audition. I told him the shows I’d been in before. He might just read it and think I’m full of myself, in fact, I’d be surprised if he responds to my email.

However, I DEFINITELY wouldn’t have any chance if I didn’t email him. The moral of the store here is to check for fall shows at the beginning of August, not the end.

**sigh**

1 comment:

kljackson15 said...

I am sooooo very happy you decided to explore theatre again. Selfishly, I'm hoping I'll have the opportunity to see you perform in person! I'll be sending good thoughts that you get an email back. Hey - no harm in trying. I swear, there is no end to your talents :)