Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Long Time, No Blog And Other Ramblings of the Week

I seem to have gone on a hiatus from regular blogging. The truth is (don’t tell anyone), I’ve been writing many of my blogs from work. I have actually been pretty busy recently, and haven’t had the time to update you on our wild shenanigans.

Since I do casework for the Americas, I got a lot of inquiries after the Peru earthquake from American Red Cross chapter caseworkers asking how people can reach their relatives who are living in Peru. Just so you all know, we can’t open cases for US citizens abroad, since those cases are handled by the US Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens Services. I never knew before working here, but you can register your overseas travel with the Dept of State so they can contact you in an emergency. You give authorization to who can or can’t receive information about your whereabouts when you travel. Good to know.

I had a fabulous weekend – Lane and I went out to dinner on Friday. We rarely ever go out to dinner. Why go out and spend lots of money when you can make a delicious dinner at home? For example, on Monday night we had grilled T-bone steaks, and mashed potatoes with sautéed Portobello mushrooms and onions in a red wine sauce and a salad with fresh berries and Lane’s citrus berry salad dressing. Mmmm. But Friday we were tired, had no groceries and STARVING. We feasted on spicy thai curries and just laughed and caught up on our weeks and the craziness they had been. We couldn’t leave, of course without mango and sticky rice for dessert.

Lane, unfortunately, had to work on Saturday afternoon. Katie and I, on the other hand, lounged around at the pool, and just chit-chatted away until we realized we were starving so we cooked some pasta. (why does everything revolve around food for me?)

We went to a party on Saturday night for this guy I work with. He lives in this neighborhood in DC that’s a little shady. We felt like were in a totally different city on the half a block trip to his house from the metro stop. It’s always interesting to hang out with people from work. This guy’s house was awesome on the inside. He has all sorts of things from all over the world in every room of his house. One room had an entire wall full of African masks. It inspired me to travel more and pick up more stuff for the house when I go. Although, it sounds like I have a lot of catching up to do - he spent 11 years working abroad.

I have a nice girl-time after work evening planned with my dear Katie tomorrow after work.

And in other news, we have gone from deathly humid nasty 100 degree heat to mid 60s you-need-a-jacket weather in a matter of days. Can’t there be a happy medium????

And there you have it, faithful reader(s), a week’s worth of ramblings. Time to get back to work.

1 comment:

kljackson15 said...

Well it's about freakin' time. I've been checking this thing like crazy but to no avail! Ok, that steak dinner sounds heavenly. I shall ponder about that as I go to sleep tonight....Looking forward to tomorrow ;)