Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Baby Shower Madness

Sisters - I had just finished crying right before we took this picture.


So the shower was on Saturday, and if I might say so myself, it was a great success. This was not my doing, but that of my wonderful family who worked so hard to make it all come together.

First, my sister-in-law Kryztie made and sent out all the invitations.
David was in charge of the appetizers and boy, did he take this responsibility seriously. He decided his theme should be BACON. What else? So he made bacon wrapped dates, and then marinated some shrimp in a garlic-chili sauce, and wrapped shrimp and a mango slice in, you guessed it, bacon! We also had delicious fresh fruit, assorted cheeses, and crab stuffed mushrooms.

He and Lane bbq’d the tri-tip and chicken that was marinating in a bbq sauce made by Cynthia. My mom took care of the pasta salad, the green salad, and the roasted mixed veggies, while Theresa conquered the dessert arena. She concocted a tiramisu, a chocolate mint crazy cake, and an insanely delectable coconut mango cheesecake. When people told me how delicious the food was, I had to step back a minute and then I realized it – I could not claim fame to any of these masterpieces! All I made was the vinaigrette for the salad.

Cynthia and Phil lugged load after load after load of stuff downstairs to the party room. And Phil and Lane came up with a solution for music. Cynthia made sure everyone wrote us a message in our guest book and recorded all the gifts for the thank you notes I’ll be writing soon. Theresa and my brother Matthew made these darling bookmarks to pass out as favors, and my mom organized a cute little game. (By the way, in case anyone is wondering, my waist is NOT 66 inches across!!) Everyone helped clean up and get all our supplies and the lovely presents back to the apartment.

I really enjoyed having so many of our friends, and surprisingly, so many of our family there to share the special day with us. There was lots of good company, laughs, and delicious food.

I am amazed by how many crafty and talented people already love this little baby. My mom crocheted us a blanket and so did my sister, Theresa. Meliss quilted a blanket, and Adrienne learned to knit and made me another blanket. Andrew (soon-to-be-Athlete-of-the-Year-in-Hawaii)’s mom made a lovely blanket by hand, and Ida-Jean, a woman who I knew at my old Red Cross chapter, made a baby blanket as well (and a baby bunting and a hat and booties). I also have a baby blanket my nana gave me for Christmas in 2002. So now, I have a baby blanket for every day of the week. They are all so special and totally different – different styles, different colors, different weights. We have one lucky little girl.

A humungous thank you to everyone who worked so hard to create a special day for Lane and Baby Grover and me. We love you and appreciate everything you did to make this happen!! Muah!

(pictures coming soon)

No comments: