Tuesday, September 23, 2008

It's Recipe Time!!

This is for all you Pesto Lovers out there... Courtesy of The Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen. This recipe is so easy, you'll be able to make it sans recipe card in no time

3 packed cups fresh basil leaves
3 to 4 large cloves of garlic
1/3 cup lightly toasted pine nuts or walnuts (optional)
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 grated parmesan
salt & pepper to taste

1. Place the basil leaves and garlic in a food processor or blender, and mince well.
2. Add the nuts, if desired, and continue to blend until the nuts are finely ground
(trust me, you desire the nuts)
3. Keep the machine running as you drizzle in the olive oil. When you have a smooth paste, transfer to a bowl and stir in the parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. To serve on pasta, place room-temp pesto in a warmed serving bowl. add hot pasta and toss thoroughly
Instead, I usually mix a ladle full of hot pasta cooking water in with the pesto and then mix that in with the pasta.

When I make pesto, I always put in a healthy squirt of lemon juice. I also always dump in a ton of fresh spinach in the serving dish along with the cooked pasta. You can even cut up some zucchini and/or asparagus spears and throw them in with the pasta water at the last minute...or even peas. Just last night we had pesto with fresh spinach and halved grape tomatoes and don't forget to save some extra toasted nuts to sprinkle on top all pretty. use whole wheat penne mmmm....

You can even freeze some pesto sauce for a super easy dinner another night. Can you tell this is one of my favorite things to make???

Try it!!

2 comments:

banananutmeg said...

this freezes well??? I thought basil turned funky colors in the freezer.

so could I make a huge batch of sauce and freeze it in ziplock baggies?

SO many options! thank you!!

Elena said...

Hey Meg,
I am pleased to report that I've successfully frozen a batch of pesto sauce and when I defrosted it, it was as vibrant and green as the day I made it :)