Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Thank You, Crystal City Marriott!

One of the biggest disadvantages of living on the 12th floor with no balcony is that we don't have a garden anymore. When we lived in Gilroy we always had a great garden with tons of herbs and tomatoes and squash and lettuce and spinach. But what I miss most is walking outside to cut fresh herbs for my dinner or lunch, or breakfast for that matter.

One day early this summer as I was walking to work, I noticed this tiny herb garden outside the Crystal City Marriott hotel. I thought it was so funny because it even had a sign in it that said "Crystal City Marriott Herb Garden". What does a hotel need a tiny baby herb garden for?? It cracked me up.

But boy has this garden ever been a life saver. Lane picks fresh basil every couple of days on his way home from work. Today I'm going to help myself to some thyme, and when we make garlic-rosemary potatoes you know where I'll get that fresh rosemary from.

I'm halfway tempted to try my hand at making mojitos since they have tons of fresh mint as well.

So thank you, Crystal City Marriott for anticipating my summer herb needs. We have had lots of delicious fresh pesto dinners that wouldn't have been possible without you.

1 comment:

banananutmeg said...

Ok i LOVE you. that is awesome.
Hey I've always wanted to make fresh pesto...care to share your recipe?