Monday, September 8, 2008

Shots for our little girl

Gabriela had her appointment for her shots today - a little early, but that's because we're flying to CA to visit our family in a few days and we all thought it was best that she get vaccinated before going on an airplane to go across the country.

First, she got an oral vaccine. She wasn't too pleased with having something other than breastmilk in her little mouth. She kind of cried and wouldn't swallow it right away. As if we didn't already know she was unhappy about this, she made double sure by THROWING UP all over herself and her momma and her Moby. So much for that vaccine. And boo for me for not bringing another shirt for myself.

The worst was when they gave her three shots. After the first one, I was surprised Gabriela didn't start screaming right away. I think it was because she was in utter shock; shortly after the unexpected silence came the most pathetic and painful wail I have ever heard from her. She was truly in pain and it broke my heart. Even worse, we had to do this all over again two more times. I just felt so terrible because there was no way to warn her, to explain why she had to do it or what to expect.

I have to say though, she really was a trooper. I nursed her right after and she calmed down shortly, and even gave me a couple of smiles in the doctor's office. We went for a walk before getting back in the car, since she sometimes has meltdowns in her carseat. She fell asleep on our walk and slept through the car ride home.

She's so cozy sleeping in her little wrap still, that I haven't bothered to take off my spit up shirt because I don't want to disturb my sleeping baby who's already had a rough day. Ahh, the joys of motherhood.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Sure do love all the updates! I agree that those shots can be heart wrenching for the Mom. The excitement is that you'll be in Gilroy soon! I know family is the priority but if you have a chance...give us a call!

Patrick and Crystal said...

Oh I hate the shots! Especially the first ones. I cried right along with kaiya for her first shots. It was so pathetic and I'm sure the nurse was laughing at us, but it was so sad! Luckily they get easier every time, but it's still never fun.