Sunday, June 7, 2009

Summer Fun Weekend

As you can see, we had a delightful, sunshine filled weekend which we spent at the park and at the pool. I am so glad our apartment building has a swimming pool. There's even a shallow kiddie pool which is normally empty. I was just dying to take Gabriela to the pool. Mostly because I thought she'd get a kick out of it, but let's be honest: I really wanted to get her in that stinkin' cute bathing suit and matching dress! Unfortunately, the water was cooler than we BOTH expected it to be. She didn't enjoy it as much as I thought she would, but I'm sure her excitement will increase as the temperature of the pool does.
In other exciting weekend news, Gabriela seems to have finally gotten the sign for milk! She has done it on occasion before, but never consistently. Saturday she was staring at her hand and intently doing the sign. I said milk, signed back, and started nursing her. She continued to sign milk, and would even stop nursing to show me the sign. She's done this almost every time I've nursed her since then. Once, as I was getting ready to buckle her in the carseat she did the sign for milk so I gave her some, but I'm not sure if she was really hungry, or if she just didn't want to get strapped in the car seat. Nevertheless, I'm pleased that she has added to her signing vocabulary. I'm hoping she'll quickly get the idea that these gestures have meaning and start paying more attention to the other signs we are showing her. We're trying to keep it to a minimum until she catches on. Next signs to master are eat, water, and up.

2 comments:

The Sylvester Crew said...

Love Gabriela's little thumbs up in the first photo of the collage! So cute. Can't wait to spend some summer weekends with you all! Love ya!

Malia said...

such a smart girl!