Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Weekend Fun

We have been busy every weekend since Gabriela’s birthday party. Some weekends have been less fun than others (emergency room visits and moving shenanigans). But this month has been filled with fun. Last weekend our friend Becky had a bbq and poolside birthday party.

The fun this weekend started early Saturday morning with my dear friend Katie. We chitchatted over breakfast at the Corner Bakery Café as it drizzled outside. Gabriela and her little friend Keady were planning their own get together but it got too late in the day. We postponed until next weekend. After some grocery store shopping in the pouring rain, and thanks to some major help from Lane, we had a fabulous early evening dinner on Saturday. We roasted a lamb in a little red wine that had been marinating in a yogurt mint and cumin mixture. Lane made the most decadent mashed potatoes ever, with ladles full of the lamb juice, and I sautéed some fresh green beans.

Saturday afternoon we also gave Gabriela a haircut. She has the unfortunate habit of pulling her own hair out of her head. She has managed to pull all the long wispy baby hairs out of only one side, leaving her with just one side of longer hair. It was certainly not easy, considering how much babies move around - even when strapped into her high chair! We were pleased with the results.

Later on, we headed off to the Gibson’s house for a much needed game night. It’s been a long time since the last one. I am pleased to report that our gaming skillz have not been hindered by the lapse in gaming. Lane and I were on the same team for the first time in ages. He SCULPTED a faucet and I guessed the celebrity – Farrah Fawcett. We weren’t allowed on the same team after that.

After a delicious breakfast of tomatillo pork and eggs, we drove down to Southern Maryland to visit my cousin Jen and her lovely family. They took us to Solomons Island where we had a tasty lunch by the water. We walked along the pier and stopped at a specialty shop for some homemade key lime pie. After we headed back to their home (which is beautiful), we changed into our swimsuits and went to their community pool.
Michele and Banana Baby
Cousins.
I love how when people see us they automatically assume the cousin relationship is not between the girls but that Lane and Chris (our husbands) are cousins. Next time we are getting a picture with them together.


The pool there is awesome!! The kiddie pool starts out just inches deep and gradually goes to ½ foot, and then 1 foot. They had these teeny fountains and a big slide and Gabriela loved it all! Every other time that we’ve taken her in the pool she has cried, so it was a big deal to see her actually enjoying herself. She kept walking to the stairs of the water slide and just splashing around.

After pool time, we walked like 3 minutes to the park in Jen’s complex where her neighbors had organized a Mexican food potluck. Everyone enjoyed their food while the kiddos all played in the park. It was a very relaxing and enjoyable day.

I was so prepared, charging my camera battery the night before so I would have tons of great pics from the day. I was really disappointed when I realized that a fully charged battery doesn’t do much good when there’s no memory card in the camera!!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Been there done that.
Except I think I left my fully charged battery sitting next to the charger.
Sounds like a very awesome weekend. I'm a little jealous that I did not get some of those mashed potatoes.
Next time I see you and Lane I better get some. =]

banananutmeg said...

tomatillo pork??? Sounds delicious! recipe?

cute haircut!