Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Very First Fakesgiving





In honor of our special family time together, including the surprise arrival of another guest, we decided to have Fakesgiving Dinner on Saturday. During Fakesgiving dinner preparations, Christianne and I agreed that it should be our tradition to always have Fakesgiving when we get together.

Since it was, after all, our very first Fakesgiving we all awoke and wished each other a happy Fakesgiving. We celebrated by letting Christianne have a (very tiny) slice of chocolate cake at breakfast time. Okay, fine - Gabriela had some too. Don't worry, it was followed by a real and very delicious pancake breakfast. Thanks, Lane and David!

I am pleased to report that the first Fakesgiving was a great success - and a team effort, at that! For starters, Lane took care of brining the turkey. We didn't have enough room for it in our fridge, so we just covered it and put it outside all night. It was sure cold enough out there! Christianne and I made the citrus herb paste to go under the turkey skin. She also stuffed the turkey and seasoned it on the outside. Cynthia made the delicious spinach gratin. I made my famous hippie stuffing, Lane whipped up some awesome mashed potatoes, and David made the gravy. On top of that, Cynthia and Christianne made the Apricot Almond Bars and Cynthia helped me make the chocolate roulade with an espresso marscapone filling and chocolate ganache. Basically, we feasted.

After dinner everyone went outside to play in the snow. I'll post more on that later.

We came back from the snow, watched The Christmas Story, all took little naps, played Jenga, and obviously, ate a little more.

What a fantastic first Fakesgiving!

4 comments:

Cynthiaclower said...

Fakesgiving was such a scrum-didilly-umptious time! Thanks Elena and Lane for having us for the feaux holiday... And for the genius brain child we now know and love, that is Fakesgiving.

I can't wait for Christmas!

David Clower said...

what a wonderful time of year - Fakesgiving. i'm presuming that it can be celebrated any time any where. how cool is that?!? i am genuinely fakeful for US Airways - somehow (against all odds), they got me into and out of DCA while the eastern seaboard stood still. i had a fantastic time reuniting with the east coastahs and surprising that amazing young woman, that christianne has become.

Theresa said...

It makes me want to cry. A happy cry. Glad that you all can be together and share you time with us. I love seeing everything and hearing about it. Wishing I was with you. Love you all Missing my family on the East Coast. Hugs and Kisses.

Cynthiaclower said...

We miss you so much too. I need you to give my love to the kiddos. Auntie misses and loves you all.
.......

I'll be running off this fakesgiving food for the rest of the week probably... just in time for Christmas!