Saturday, January 2, 2010

Tamale Madness

The day after Christmas we got up bright and early to head down to California, MD for some post Christmas Tamale Madness with the Sylvester Family.
Chance and Jackson hanging out while Christianne is hard at work making a corn husk doll. She said Nana taught her how, and while we were there she made one for me, Cynthia, AND Jen!!
Cousins! Apparently, I should have been wearing an apron too! I'm all full of masa flour.
Believe it or not, I was the tamale teacher! Here is Jen with her first tamale!
Michele was a great helper! She grabbed the hojas for me and spooned on the masa.


Here's the finished product! We also feasted on rice and beans and some awesome corn chowder that Jen and Chris made. It was such a nice day with our cousins! We split the tamales and each took home a supply of masa flour, hojas, and prepared meat so we can make more at home.

5 comments:

banananutmeg said...

I have never eaten a real tamale.
Really. Sad, right?
I have a casserole that uses the canned kind, but does that really count? Probably not!

banananutmeg said...

Did you remember to say the special "tamale prayer" this year ;)

Cynthiaclower said...

That really was awesome family time! And damn, the tamales were delicious. Mmmmmmmm mmmmmm good.

Elena said...

Meg, it's funny you should ask about the prayer. A few minutes after we started them on the stovetop, I freaked everyone out by suddenly shrieking, "OMG!!! We forgot to say the prayer!!!!!!" We said it and they turned out just right. p.s. if you were my neighbor, I'd bring you tamales and show you how to make them too :)

The Sylvester Crew said...

They were so yummy! I'm just getting around to checking the post! Love how festive my table looks!