Saturday, January 23, 2010

Why Hello, Mr. President

Unfortunately, of all the pictures that were taken, this is the only one that I'm actually in. That's the back of my head. I know you are really impressed ;)


Last Monday was supposed to be a holiday. I knew I'd have to go in to get an update on the Haiti earthquake and send out some communications to the American Red Cross chapter caseworkers, so I went in early. But we had received a scheduler for a mandatory planning meeting to review the impact this disaster response was going to have on our International Services department.

I walk into the building and kind of do a double take. Secret Service agents at the American Red Cross? noooooo. Why would they be here? There were just one or two, so I figured I had been mistaken.

Later that morning there were more and more. Pretty soon, they were checking my name on a list before letting me into the very area that I go to work regularly. huh??

The pieces started falling together when they made us leave all our belongings in room and had us all exit into a conference room while the area was thoroughly checked. Then we were able to re-enter through a metal detector and were each individually checked. We waited at our stations, trying to get work done, still not 100% sure it would actually be THE PRESIDENT, but possibly someone else high up on the ladder.

Suddenly reporters came running in to set up all their equipment -cameras, lights, microphones, etc. And in walked our President and First Lady.

We were advised before they came in to keep working, stay focused (cos, you know, it's just the President). But immediately he warmly greeted people, thanked us for our hard work, and shook hands and spoke for a few minutes with everyone.

They were both amazing. It was such a surreal experience. Anytime you're working really hard at something, it feels good for your efforts to be recognized. You really feel good when the President stops by to say hello and tell you you're doing excellent work! And, he even said my name correctly!!! Bonus points, Mr. President!

After they left I had to call Lane to tell him.... 'Uh, I just shook hands with the PRESIDENT!' I'd say it was worth coming in to work on a holiday.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Dad said you're the president's special agent at the Red Cross.

Mary Jane Grover said...

With what did you take the pictures? Didn't the secret service object to people having electronic equipment out during his visit?

I wouldn't know appropriate protocol since I have never met a President!

Wow. Impressive. The force is strong with this one.:)

Elena said...

I didn't actually take any photos. I'm pretty sure some of these were taken by some of the photographers who were there. Some people had their cameras and there wasn't any problem. Everyone had to demonstrate that their cell phones turned on and were actual phones as they entered through security.