Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Practice Kindness, Mercy & Forgiveness

That is the message on my meditative tea this morning, which is quite delicious by the way; it has sage, lavender, and even berries. Mmm.

In the spirit of practicing kindness, I thought I’d share my latest adventure with you. I just learned yesterday about this program fairly close to where I work. It is a reading program where you are paired up with one student and meet with them for half an hour a week as their “reading buddy”. Depending on the student’s reading level, you read to them, you read together, or they read to you. This program just warmed my heart. I love kids and I love reading, and sharing a love and appreciation of reading just sounded perfect. So I immediately submitted the paperwork and they are doing a background check on me right now. I hope to be able to start sometime soon. More on this later.

In other news, I had a spark of creativity in the kitchen and thought I should save my creation somewhere so I can recreate this tasty pasta dish. And, who knows, maybe some else wants to explore this dish.

* Dice about 4 strips of bacon and sauté ‘em up. Set them aside when they are all nice and crispy.
* Drain the grease and heat some olive oil with a few dashes of red pepper flakes, 4 or 5 chopped garlic cloves, and about a Tbsp of chopped fresh rosemary.
* Add a can of white beans to the mixture and about ½ cup of chicken stock. Let it cook up. I also smashed a few Tbsps of beans to make the mixture a little thicker, but add some chicken broth if it gets too thick.
* After the pasta is all cooked and drained, add the bean mixture, the bacon, and a generous palmful of parmegiano reggiano cheese.
* Stir it all up and sprinkle with a little extra cheese and freshly ground black pepper.

If you have left-overs, you might need to add a little extra chicken stock before reheating the pasta.

2 comments:

kljackson15 said...

That sounds like a great program and a good fit for you!

The pasta sounds yummy!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott said...

That's cool. Did you ever do anthing with vision literacy(I think that was the name) in Gilroy? Their office was over by OD's downtown. When I was at West Valley we had a fundraiser/book drive for them as a part of a class I took.

We've been looking for charities here to get involved with, and I got to volunteer at a women and children's shelter a few times, but they had americorps people and seemed bothered when I would call. Since then, we got the dog, and Kristie has really become interested in becoming a volunteer at an animal shelter she found that is no-kill. I guess ost places will make you watch a euthanasia before you can start volunteering but this place doesn't need that. Anyways, I can't wait to be done with school so I'll have more time to get involved in cool stuff like that.

The more I read of your blog, the more I realize that you need to find a GOOD creole restaraunt. The way you mix ingredients makes me think you'd really like the flavors and textures. You should start exploring, and when we FINALLY make it out there, we'll let you take us. I know that's super self-serving of me, huh?

Too much out of me.