Friday, September 21, 2007

Restoring Family Links

My job is to help reconnect families that have been separated internationally because of armed conflict or natural disaster. Sometimes I spend days sending reminders to chapters, asking them to send more complete information, or asking national societies for updates on cases we haven't heard from in a while. Sometimes the messages break my heart. My day began today with reading one of those messages - here it is:

My Dear Daughter,

Since the Liberia War 1990, I have been with sleepless night worrying about your location. When the sun raises I think about you and when the sun go down I cry for you. Please let me know your whereabouts so I will have piece of mind.

My soul troubles day and night. Even I ask my church to pray for you, here in the United States of America.

I am going through global reach to search you. May God bless you, wherever you are.


This is why I do this work. I can't imagine spending years not knowing where my children are, if they are safe, or even alive. It's just devastating to even imagine... But the good news is that this service exists around the world through Red Cross/Red Crescent societies around the world, and that families do sometimes get the answers they are looking for. Now I have to get busy on this case.

1 comment:

kljackson15 said...

Wow. That's pretty incredible. The emotional element of your job is so unique. Thanks for helping so many people out there. You are amazing :)