Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Could this really be??

Yesterday, as it sweltered to an autumn high of 90 degrees, I realized I am ready for fall. I’m done wearing dresses and skirts for a while. I am ready for sweaters and scarves, crisp breezes and hearing the crackling of fallen burnt orange leaves. I am ready for soup cooking season, for when it actually feels nice and cozy to use the oven instead of something to avoid doing at all costs.

Could this really be? The summer loving sunshine basking (yet sunscreen wearing) California girl is ready to put away the shorts and flip flops for a few months? What can I say?? There’s just something to be said about having four distinct seasons. It’s enough time to enjoy, get bored, and get excited for the next. You start noticing little changes in the light, the air, the flowers, the leaves, I love it...

However, I’d be willing to trade winter for a longer cherry blossom season next spring. Not sure there’s much I can do about that, though.

This is wacky summer weather - on the hottest, most humid day of the whole summer last year, we also had the most thunder and lightning and were evacuated from the capitol lawn. Then the sun came out again and we were able to enjoy the fireworks.This summer photo was actually taken in Central Park, not DC. But it's still beautiful summer.

3 comments:

kljackson15 said...

I couldn't be more excited about the changing weather! Oh boy, there's no telling what kind of soup masterpieces you'll come up with :)

Scott said...

amen amen and amen. I can dig what your putting out there about having 4 seasons. Gilas is dope in the fall with all the trees over by where we all grew up, but REALLY having 4 seasons is different. And winter clothes are infinitely more fun when you have a real reason for wearing them, huh.

And soup? Damn girl, Soup?! That's my heart right there. That's what that is.

Heather said...

what pretty pictures you have :) but yeah, wow, could this really be? i can´t wait to have a proper summer! i first left cali in march, returned for a beautiful month in may, but still not summer and still cold at night in sf. then i came back here straight into patagonian winter! egads is that cold. now it´s spring, but it was freezing and snowing almost all the way to sea level last week.