Sunday, October 14, 2007

Weekend with David



David hasn't been to DC in quite a while. But when I learned Gov't Mule was coming to town, he decided to make a special trip down. When he arrived on Friday night, we immediately make the requisite stop to Kabob Palace where the lamb kabobs and kubideh are luscious. David is convinced they season the kubideh with some sort of poppy/opium powder because every time eats there, he has this euphoric experience.

Poor Lane had to work again this Saturday, so David and I headed over to Eastern Market. We checked out the flea markets there, and all the artisan stands, walked through the fresh meat market and awesome bakeries and cheese stands, sampled cheeses and nuts and juicy, delicious apples. And I bought a necklace made by the Maasai tribe from Kenya. We also found this really cool retro/vintage clothing store, which I can't wait to go back to.

Saturday night was the big finale - Gov't Mule is a classic rock "jam" band that formed as a side project of the Allman Brothers. These guys are mostly influenced by 60's greats such as Cream and Jimi Hendrix Experience. One of the members was also from the Black Crowes. David LOVES Gov't Mule and Lane and I went to see them on New Year's Eve last year in New York.

This time was at the 9:30 club - the same place we saw Keane earlier this year. We were right up front and had a great time. They even covered some Neil Young and One by U2, which was my favorite. These guys started at 9:30 and didn't end until 1 AM! They are serious about jamming. Lane caught a guitar pic Warren Haynes (the singer and lead guitarist) threw out into the crowd.
I really enjoyed the band that opened for them - Grace Potter & the Nocturnals, who I had never heard before. Grace is only 24 (what an old fart I sound like when saying that), and their music is bluesy with a 1970's rock sound. Her voice is beautiful and she has such amazing stage presence - plus she's hot.

Unfortunately, I couldn't take any pictures of the show since they made me check in my camera!!! grr. Also, DC is regularly a city of young, preppy professionals. Out of nowhere at this concert appeared long-haired, tattooed, long bearded, tie-dyed shirt wearing, smoker bikers with southern accents. It was kind of humorous.

David left this morning, but only after feasting on a lazy Sunday morning breakfast.

1 comment:

kljackson15 said...

Sounds like you had an amazing weekend! It's been so long since I've checked out bands like that...really cool. I'm glad you had some quality David time :)