Thursday, October 4, 2007

Where are you from????

I get asked this question a lot. It’s always uncomfortable and I feel like the person is never actually asking what they really want to know. I’m not sure if I should answer their question, or not answer their question, but skip all the prancing around and just tell them what they want to hear.

I was born in Indiana, so if you want to be technical about it, that’s where I’m from. However, I consider myself from California. I grew up there, lived there for 21 years, made all my friends there, went to college there, met my husband and got married there. It’s where my parents live; it’s my home and where I’m from. People aren’t ever satisfied with this answer though – “no, what *country* are you from??” uhhh. The united states??

Apparently, some people see me, and it’s very clear to them that I’m from another part of the world. It’s just weird because when I see myself I don’t see a Mexican or a Spanish speaking person or anything else than a normal almost thirty (yikes!) year old person.

So, yes. I’m half Mexican. I didn’t grow up in Mexico. As far as I know I don’t have any family there, and I’ve only ever been to Puerto Vallarta – for my honeymoon. I learned all my Spanish in school and what can I say, I love tamales.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not angry or offended – I’m happy to share. Just ask what you want to know, people! :-)

So... hours and hours after I posted this, I started reading a little more of my new book called Ancestor Stones by Aminatta Forna. I was amused to read the following sentences: "And the way those people talk, sideways, out of the corners of their mouths, using some words to say what they do not really mean, and other words to say the things they do. And you cannot shout at them: 'What do you mean? Say what you mean to say!' Because then they look at you as though you had let the sun get to your head."

1 comment:

Scott said...

Wait, You're not Persian? I've been telling people for year how I used to date a Persian chick. I feel so used. At least you can still tell people you use to date a short fat guy. I lost MY interesting factoid.

A professor that I TA for a lot gets asked this question after the first session of class every semester. For three years now, I've never heard him answer with anything other than "Mars". Then, when they ask, "No, Where are you REALLY from?" He says, "Mars. Why?" I totally understand your frustration. Besides, all that really matters is that you can make cheesecake, right?