Monday, November 5, 2007

Weekend in the Kitchen

Since it's been almost two whole weeks, without any mention of my kitchen adventures, I thought it was time to share.

Lane was feeling under the weather this weekend, so we stayed in and he rested. Thank goodness he's sick now, instead of next week. So I made him a HUGE pot of chicken soup.

Yesterday, I made banana bread, but just for the fun of it tossed in a bunch of fresh cranberries. Hadn't ever tried that before. After I tasted it, I wish I had put in more cranberries. They are wonderfully tart bursts of flavor. I decided plain banana bread is just boring.

But the grand finale of the weekend kitchen adventures was my butternut squash ravioli. On Saturday I roasted the squash and made the filling. Lane and I cheated by using wonton wrappers as the pasta. We cooked them up in a delicious sage butter sauce with red pepper flakes and garlic. We finished them off with toasted pine nuts. Lane made a salad with fresh apple slices, goat cheese, dried cranberries and pecans. We are definitely making this recipe again.

....

So, in my (long ago) 100 things about me post, I shared that I always have weird dreams. Here's a little tidbit to give you the picture: I had this dream that I was supposed to be at work, but was with my mom in Santa Cruz instead at this little international crafts bazaar and then remembered I should call work. She handed me her cell phone which was this oversized big yellow, juicy half pear shaped number. When I pressed the buttons they squished around and I couldn't remember who my boss was or who to call. The next thing I knew, Lane and I were at our apartment and someone was banging on the door. We opened it up to some really raggedy looking neighbors this one guy immediately punched Lane in the face. I gasped in horror and tried to yell at him, but nothing would come out. This guy stormed inside and started yelling at Lane for stealing his 3/4 cup measurer.

??? I don't get it either.

1 comment:

kljackson15 said...

I've been sort of fascinated with sage butter. I've seen it so many times on Food Network lately. I want to try to use it soon. There is this great turkey recipe that uses it.....