Thursday, November 1, 2007

No vacation for us??

I just came back from a total bummer of a meeting. It was a disaster briefing on Tropical Storm Noel, which is headed toward the Bahamas and has recently hit Cuba, Haiti, and (what luck) la República Dominicana. Yes, that Caribbean vacation hot spot I am supposed to be heading to (for a much deserved 5 days of complete sunshine and utter relaxation with my over-worked, loving husband whom I rarely see these days) in exactly two weeks. I learned all sorts of interesting factoids about the current haps of the DR– for instance, the rains from Tropical Storm Noel have caused flooding and landslides throughout the country. About 34,000 people have been affected and more than 19,000 have been evacuated. Infrastructure including roads, bridges, electrical power lines, and agriculture has been damaged. But my personal favorite tidbit of unconfirmed 411 was that while the DR is reaching out to international aid organizations for assistance, they are not officially declaring a state of emergency, as it could impact local tourism.

HELLO!

I’ve checked the maps and the actual storm hit the westernmost portion of the country, while we are supposed to be staying in the south east. I will have to do some research. I thought I was being so smart by taking a trip at the last two weeks of hurricane season (June 1 – Nov 30) and getting hurricane insurance. We’ll see what happens.

I am still very determined to take this vacation. Stay tuned for more.

No comments: