Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Adventures in Moving

We aren't moving anywhere, not just yet. But our friends Torin & Raluca moved over the weekend and we helped them out. Torin introduced me to a completely new and revolutionary method of packing:

First, take one stretchy large trash bag. Then proceed to dump contents indiscriminately into the garbage bag until it is full to capacity. Do not look at, examine, or question whether you should be moving said contents to the new residence. Repeat. I have also found that this is the preferred method for other friends of mine.

I am serious OCD girl about packing, packaging, sorting, and labeling when I move so this was absolutely unfathomable for me. For example, when Lane and I moved to SLO, I knew we wouldn't be staying there (sad as it may be), and since we had a storage unit I seriously kept every box from our wedding and wedding shower. When we moved back to Gilroy, people would ask me which box went where, or what was in a box. They were shocked to see that the Kitchen Aid was in the Kitchen Aid box. My favorite new tip for moving is to go to Trader Joes for their wine boxes. I used bunches of them for moving our wine and glasses, etc.

Anyway, I quickly enlisted assistance of Raluca to get some newspaper and started carefully wrapping glass bottles and was back in my moving comfort zone.

Torin & Raluca moved to an awesome *house* by the metro. They have tons of space, a deck, a pool, and a huge yard. We're really happy for them and can't wait to go back for some raging parties :)

We went to a birthday celebration that night for friends of Torin & Raluca. It was good times.

2 comments:

kljackson15 said...

I may hire you for my next move ;)

Anonymous said...

I am..or at least was like that about packing. I love having every box labeled, and I list in large letters what room in the house the box now belongs in. I even have a list on the side of the contents. At least I always did until I had two babies. When we moved from San Diego, Kate was only 3 weeks old...I hate to admit that there were a few black garbage bags involved.