Monday, June 22, 2015

Summer fun, week 3

After clocking nearly 25 hours swimming at the pool during the week, we decided to take a break from the pool over the weekend. I was looking forward to a restful morning, but that changed when we heard our chickens going crazy at 4:30 in the morning.

Lane raced downstairs to find a possum inside our coop! He poked at it with a stick until it squirmed its way out. Luckily, our chickens made enough noise to alert us, and none of them were injured. 

Lane ended up out of bed early in the morning to fortify the chicken coop, keeping those possums and any other creatures out for good!

So we got a late start to our Saturday day of Alameda fun, but it was still a delightful day.  

We wishes our friend Thomas a happy fourth birthday at Lincoln Park, where Lane dutifully played Monster and chased children all over the playground.
Next stop, Art Show for Gabriela. Her art class had an end of the year party she was eagerly awaiting, and then we skipped it to visit Grandma Chaney at the last moment. So we decided to have our own special Art celebration the following weekend, with stops at a few of our Alameda favorites, like Burma Superstar or, as Easton calls it, Grandma Superstar. We were so glad Auntie Cynthia joined us for the day.   

After a delightful and always delicious meal, we stopped a few doors down for Tuckers. I think the grownups were looking forward to Burma Superstar with the same excitement the kids held for Tuckers. These sweet babes insist on bubble gum ice cream nearly every time. So many delicious flavors, but I guess what is childhood without bubblegum ice cream? I used to love it myself, but now I cannot say the same.
Gabriela was thrilled to show Auntie Cynthia her work, to spot her own pieces on display, and admire all the other artists' creations. We also invited her preschool friend Maeve and her mama to join us. 
Gabriela and her spirit animal, a dolphin

Gabriela's pigeon is in the blue frame on the left.

The Dia de Los Muertos "bones to blossoms" section was my favorite. Gabriela's piece has a turquoise background. I think it turned out for the better that we had our own private showing and we able to add some extra special fun to our day. I am proud of my Gabriela for not complaining about missing the show with her teachers and fellow students, for being flexible, and positive, and also for all her hard work this year in art class.

Sunday I answered a Facetime call in bed from Uncle Matthew and quickly recognized the door in the background as my front door. Surprise from Uncle Matthew! The kids were thrilled to see him, Easton reported that there was a "real live uncle Matthew" at his front door. Uncle Matthew came bearing gifts for the kids too. So sweet. We like that he is our Oakland neighbor now. 

After an afternoon of yard work and chores, we drove 30 minutes to Concord to visit Auntie Cunthia at her new house for a BBQ. We loved her darling place, beautiful backyard, complete with bocce ball court, but the kids' favorites about the house were the miniature sized doors to the attic space. 
They also adored getting to see Uncle Dan, who carried them on his shoulders and played hard with them, like he always does. 
Uncle Dan and his BBQ assistant

I am glad I have pictures from the weekend, because despite my resolve to start blogging and snapping photos again, I didn't manage to capture any moments from this week. 

The kids and I are working on our own summer reading program that I found online. It's giving us all motivation to read different times of books than we might otherwise, and Gabriela got her first prize, making homemade ice cream! Our neighbors generously gifted us their ice cream maker that they rarely used, and I am very confident that we will be putting that machine to work this summer! 

I also took the kids to see Dolphin Tale 2 at the movies (total admission price: $3), we started working on our make a plate project, hung out at the pool one afternoon, and went to park day on Friday.

 Easton found the steepest hill possible and insisted on riding his skuut bike downhill, coasting so rapidly his bike would wobble. I am trying to realize that I am raising a little boy who has grover daredevilness in his blood, and let him adventure, but boy, it's not easy!

Auntie Cynthia came to watch the kids one night so Lane and I could go to our SAND meeting. The second she arrived, my kids were begging me to get out of the house so they could have their special auntie time. I am so grateful they can see their auntie three times in one week.  

Friday night Lane came home early from work and we went to the pool for the evening. Easton had to show daddy his fancy new swim moves. We got him some toys that sink to the bottom of the (2 foot) pool, and he was a champ, swimming down to get them, insisting on no help whatsoever. This kid is determined. We had a lovely evening together. 



No comments: