Friday, March 20, 2009

Eight Months Old!


Ready for the rain
Hold on tight!
p.s. can you see my two teeth?

Seriously, where is the time going!? And how did my baby get so big?

Gabriela’s latest new thing is standing up all the time. She sticks out her hands so we will grab onto them and she immediately goes from laying down to standing. And when she holds on, it’s mostly just for a little help with balance. She hasn’t figured out yet that she can pull herself up onto furniture, and we haven’t told her.

I have given this baby all super hippie food so far. Until last night, that is. I was picking up a package at the front desk of our apartment and they had a delicious looking pile of warm freshly baked cookies. As I was eating my white chocolate macadamia nut cookie, Gabriela started going crazy. She was grabbing for it like there was no tomorrow. It was like she KNEW she wasn’t supposed to have it. I really, truly tried to resist giving her a taste. But she was just too cute. I gave her the teeniest tiniest littlest bittiest crumb of cookie. Luckily by the time she finished sampling it, I had gobbled the rest of it down and there was no more left to share.

She is enjoying eating more and more by the day. And while I pride myself on being a generally easy breezy mom, I have discovered that I am absolutely paranoid that she will choke on her food. One of Gabriela’s newest meals is black beans mixed with avocado and mango. Gabriela is also mastering picking things up with her index finger and thumb and putting them into her mouth – and not just food.

Gabriela talks and talks. She’s been practicing with different volumes of her voice. Bath time splashing is fabulous to her. Last night she had her first bath without the little baby bath tub. I never saw so much broccoli in our tub! Gabriela was fascinated to see me filling up containers with water and dumping them back into the tub.

She hasn’t graduated to full on crawling, and I’m not sure she needs to. That girl gets around fast to anywhere her heart desires! She has started rocking back and forth on all fours, which usually results in her sprawled out on the floor before she resumes her army scoot.

Gabriela continues her interest in strange “toys”, the latest and greatest being a stack of coasters and chewing on CDs. Mmm. She is extremely observant. Sometimes we stop by at the park on our way home from daycare and she seems to love watching the bigger kids, dogs and even the guys playing basketball nearby. She still isn’t quite sure what to think of the swings.

We are so lucky to have such a delightful baby. She just makes us so happy!! Gabriela only cries really if she gets hurt or if she’s tired and hungry (at the same time). She still loves to be “worn”. We are getting tons of use out of all our baby carriers still.

3 comments:

banananutmeg said...

The last picture is my favorite. She is so beautiful!

The Sylvester Crew said...

I love the picture of mommy and smiley baby girl!!! Have you guys thought anymore about Florida? We will be leaving probably July 2. We have our timeshare July 3 - 17.

Adrienne said...

You're going to have to teach me how to use that Maya wrap because I'm going to wear her everywhere ;-)