Monday, March 2, 2009

No Snow Day. Boo Hoo

Ever since I moved out here, I was amazed and excited by the concept of a SNOW DAY. I have been looking forward to one ever since. Who doesn't want a free day off to laze around in a winter wonderland and drink hot cocoa and bake and stay all cozy warm, or even explore the snow for just a little teeny bit?? Can you believe it - almost 4 whole winters and not one single snow day!??

I was SURE we'd have a snow day today. Positive! I mean, the weather guys are talking about this MEGA STORM and everything. I even dreamed about a snow day. In my dream I couldn't find the Red Cross phone number for inclement weather, I was on a shuttle on the way to work when they announced there was no work. Along the side of the road were tons of very tall snow men. It was fabulous.

I woke up really early in the morning to the awful sounds of the snow plows. But that's a good sign for snow days, right? Later in the morning, I looked out the window to find everything covered in snow. It's coming down pretty good still. You can imagine my disappointment to find that there is no snow day today! Curses! Just delayed opening and "unscheduled leave" which basically means you can take the day off if you want, but it counts against your paid time off. Some people need to do that because the schools around here all close down at the drop of a snowflake.

What a bummer. I am debating whether or not I should actually go in to work on time anyway and leave early instead to not chance getting home late to pick up Gabriela.

There go all my baking and house cleaning and hot chocolate drinking plans. Maybe next winter.

6 comments:

banananutmeg said...

Bummer! Snow days are nice...we live in the "mountains" (I feel like a cheater using that word after living out west) but the roads are VERY hilly and driving around our village is like driving from gilroy to watsonville/santa cruz, on a smaller scale...driving in ANY amount of ice or snow is nearly impossible! After moving here from Wisconsin, we laughed the first time they canceled school (for ONE inch of slushy "snow")! We have snow days all the time..so often that they had to extend school for the kids an extra two weeks to make up for all the missed days. Be glad the snow is clearing up, that means spring is coming! yahoo!

Anne said...

Maybe nest winter? Why not hope for a snow day tomorrow? Go - power of positive thinking!!

Elena said...

I'm thinking positively; I'm just hoping for winter to go away before another snow day hits :)

Sarah said...

Not DC schools. We're all tough or something. It's so sad. I was sure we'd have a snow day too. Just a stinkin' two hour delay. No fun. But we did take Wes in his new sled to Lincoln Park this afternoon. Look for his snow day pictures!

Unknown said...

You're funny. Dreaming of a snow day. Snow days sound horrible to me. I hate cold.

Scott said...

I hear ya. 5 1/2 Winters and still not a single snow day. We even had a massive blizzard with like 20 something inches of snow in one day, followed by 16 more like 3 days later, but no luck.