Sunday, March 15, 2009

Weekend update

Friday night we hung out at Alex & Matt's with Sean & Jessica. True to form, Gabriela stayed awake the whole time and was quite the social butterfly. We were a little nervous that she didn't fall asleep until around 11 pm because we had to get up early the next morning to go to the zoo!

Bill & Julie invited us to the zoo's annual member appreciation event, while it was closed to the regular public. It was awesome!! There were way fewer people than usual. We got to see the panda up close chomping away on tons of bamboo. We watched the oldest elephant in captivity get hosed down for a morning bath, the cheetahs, zebras, tigers, lions, the small mammals (Gabriela loved the Golden Lion Tamarins), the reptile house, and our usual favorite, the orangutans and gorillas.

However, this time was THE BEST! The gorillas were more active than we've ever seen them at any zoo. Two of the brothers were running around chasing each other. One was a little stinker and even threw a pile of hay at another one. They were climbing and coming right up close to the observation wall. We could have stayed for hours watching all this. As if this weren't mesmerizing enough, there is an itty bitty teeny tiny BABY GORILLA!!! She is so sweet! The baby girl gorilla was born in January and she was tinier at three months than Gabriela was at birth. The momma gorilla just walked around like normal with the baby clutching her tummy fur. She'd cradle the baby and sometimes just pat her back like we do with our little people babies. She knew just what to do and how to be a good mama without even reading any parenting books. Check out pictures of the zoo's new addition here. Warning: Your heart just may melt.

After a shorter than normal evening slumber and walking around all morning at the zoo, we ate a late breakfast with Bill & Julie. On our way home, we debated whether or not to walk above or underground to go home. At the last second I voted underground. We were just around the corner from our apartment when we saw all this BABY STUFF for sale! The Junior League was having a sale of JUST baby stuff before their annual Tossed & Found sale, which I am totally attending this year. I was like a crazy woman. I had no idea this was happening, got in late in the game, made Lane relinquish all his cash to me and had him take our sleeping baby upstairs with instructions that I would call him if I needed him to bring me the checkbook.

They charged $10 admission and I bought $25 worth of stuff, including a brand spankin' new shopping cart cover/activity center for $5 that would have cost at least $20 anywhere else. PLUS I won a raffle prize which was a $25 Baby Gap gift card. Totally worth going! We got some board books, some toys, our shopping cart thingy, a book for me, a little outfit and a bunch of long sleeved cutie tees.

Exhausted from this last minute shopping extravaganza, I joined my already sleeping family for FOUR hours of delightful napping. Gabriela seriously napped for at least five hours. I thought for sure she'd go to bed super late that night or wake up ready to play wide eyed and bushy tailed in the middle of the night, but she went to sleep at 9:30 and didn't wake up until 7:30. I guess she just needed some catch up.

Man, so did I. I think Daylight Savings Time kicked my ass. Every night this week I've felt overwhelmed, tired, have been so busy and still felt like I didn't get much done. Maybe this week will be better. The weekend is almost over and we still have lots of cleaning, cooking, and laundry to do. Wish us luck!!!

Here are some pics from the zoo. I wish we had taken more, but we forgot to charge the battery

Checking out the alligators at the reptile house. Gabriela had just woken up from her nap here. She really enjoyed seeing the fishies and turtles swim around.

At the subway station on our way there. It was a little chilly in the morning so we just bundled up extra.



No comments: