Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Carnitas the Half-Mexican Way

I'm only half Mexican. I think this is the reason I find it perfectly normal and acceptable to cook carnitas in a CROCKPOT. I've never had good luck with crockpots in general. I just don't care for the texture or flavor of most crockpot dishes. In fact, the only two things I make in a crock pot didn't actually call for cooking in a crockpot. Go figure. But this is a total winner.
This recipe makes a lot of meat. You will have tons of delicious burritos if you make this.

Put the following ingredients in your crockpot
  • 1 bone-in pork shoulder or butt roast
  • 1 large onion, quartered
  • 1 Tbsp each (I tend to put a little extra) cumin seed and coriander seed
  • 2 jalapeƱo peppers, halved
  • 2 bay leaves
  • salt
  • 1 Tbsp oregano
  • Add chicken stock a little more than half way up the crockpot

Cook on low for about 8 hours. (if you don't have a crockpot, put everything in the pan, probably with a little more liquid, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until meat is tender - about 5 to 6 hours)

Remove the oh-so-tender-falling-apart roast from the crockpot.

(Only do this step for the amount you will be eating right away) - shred some of the meat and place on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Pop it in the oven at 450 for about 10 minutes or until it starts getting brown and a little crispy.

Now you can make some rice, pop open a can of black beans and maybe add a little cumin, get some salsa, guacamole, sour cream, and cheese, and some fresh cilantro, monster sized tortillas, and you will have all the fixings for some kick-ass burritos.

2 comments:

banananutmeg said...

oooh this made me SO hungry, and NOT look forward at all to the wimpy taco salad we are having tonight. I can't wait to try all these recipes!

Anonymous said...

I am totally going to make this Elena, thanks.
Ben