Monday, February 23, 2009

West Virginia Wilderness


"Um, I think there's a new tooth in here, Mom & Dad"


Just relaxing over the weekend


I am just barely getting to feel like my normal old self after nearly 4 days of sicky-sickness, and I’m still not quite there yet. I was seriously close to graciously bowing out of our friend’s 30th b-day celebration weekend up in West Virginia. I am so glad I didn’t. The weekend was a fabulous time in a beautiful space with friends and insane cooking. Just insane.


We are so grateful (especially our tummies) that John and Laura invited us up to the West Virginia wilderness. The cabin is a comfortable modern pre-fab cabin that was recently featured in Dwell magazine. You can see the article and pictures here: http://www.dwell.com/homes/prefab/36198299.html And, let me just say, you know it’s going to be a good trip when you are emailed the weekend Menu in advance and see such delightful things as Challah French Toast with Banana Walnut Compote for breakfast and Roasted Cuban Pork for dinner. Mmm.


On a little walk in the West Virginia Wilderness







We weren’t really sure how Gabriela would do on the two-plus hour drive, but she was an angel. She was asleep before we even left Crystal City and woke up once when we stopped for gas. I fed her a bottle as we continued on our way and she went right back to sleep. Of course, she woke up in time to smile and flirt with everyone when we arrived just after 10 pm. She truly is a social butterfly.

John, the birthday boy chef, took such good care of us. He made this mouthwatering Cuban roast, which is basically the same cut of meat you’d use for carnitas. Except he marinated it overnight, and then made this garlic paste with orange juice and other magical ingredients and slathered this all over the roast and slow cooked it on the BBQ for 5 hours! Then he made the mojo sauce, which was just over the top. This was the juiciest, most flavorful and flat out phenomenal roasted meat we ever tasted.


Lane made his kick-ass cookies, I made some bruscetta, some roasted potatoes to go with our chilaquiles for breakfast on Sunday, and we basically stuffed our faces all weekend. It was pure heaven. One of my favorite things was the salad Laura and I pulled together at the last second to use up some of the left overs. We made a salad with baby arugula, strawberries, apples, we candied some pecans, fresh mint, and she made an awesome vinaigrette. Totally on the fly.

Gabriela couldn’t have been more well-behaved. She kept herself entertained while we were cleaning up and the end of the weekend, hung out with us as we drove around exploring West Virginia, went on a little hike, and only once cried the whole weekend for about 2 minutes when she accidentally whacked herself with her rattle.

I think I needed a totally relaxing weekend. We got home at a very reasonable hour, still stuffed silly. And if I had been feeling better, I would have actually taken some pictures. I might be able to get my hands on some, soon. So don’t give up hope just yet.

Happy Birthday, John! Thanks for inviting us for a wonderful celebration.

No comments: