Friday, October 16, 2015

Capture Your Grief - Day 16. Creative Grief

There is such a deep-rooted yearning that we feel when our beloved children die. This yearning hurts so bad and yet it also inspires us to get creative to do something beautiful in memory of our children. Have you done anything in memory of your child? Maybe it is something your created for them. A tattoo or a piece of jewellery or artwork. Did you create a garden? Maybe you created an organization or a charity benefit. Maybe you took up a new practice. A new hobby. Writing, painting, dancing, reading. Whatever it is share your mementos.

...

Days after Simone died my sister-in-law told me she wanted to get me a necklace with Simone's name and asked me to choose one. I love this one with the heart and laurel leaves. 

Lane got me this bracelet. It's called Beauty in Brokenness. To remind me that, somehow, we will heal from this. We won't ever be the same, but grief comes from love and there is something beautiful about that. 
We planted a cherry tree for Simone days after returning home from the hospital. It waits and waited to bloom this year. Lane and I were beginning to wonder if something was wrong, since it seemed ever other cherry tree was in full bloom. But, sure enough, it bloomed as soon as April began, and the very last blossom of Simone's tree blew away with the wind on her actual birthday. 


And here is a little something I made. Simone's Christmas stocking all the way on the right. She won't ever be able to pull goodies from it or dump it out in wonder on Christmas morning. And I knew this, having sewn it after her death. But it was so important for me to see five stockings hanging up, because even in her absence, we were still a family of five. 

No comments: