Monday, June 2, 2008

Los Outer Banks

The beach across the street
The pier from our deck to the water
My husband, the wind surfer
us.
Boys drinking it up

We just returned yesterday afternoon from almost 5 days of lovely rest and relaxation in North Carolina's Outer Banks. I had my reservations at first about taking extra time off from work and shuffling around to reschedule some baby classes I had already signed us up for that weekend, but I am so glad we went. Lane and I both needed that time away from work and the busy DC life.

We stayed at a rad house right on the ocean. It was a 3 level house with decks on each side of the three levels, a huge kitchen, a pool table, swimming pool, jacuzzi, walkway out to the ocean, and an elevator (that I never used). We spent our days by the beach and by the deck napping, reading, chit-chatting, sunning, enjoying the gorgeous weather and eating delicious food. It was a great group of people. I mean really, you know it's going to be good when the guys are sending out emails for special requests and dietary concerns ahead of time and when one of the guys brings his own ice cream maker!! We ate delicious food every night. Some of the guys fished, and Lane tried a little wind surfing. One afternoon there was a kite surfing competition right by our little pier, so we watched the pros do their fancy tricks in the lovely sunshine. I would definitely go back.

It was especially fun because when my parents lived in Norfolk, VA before I was even born, they would always come to the Outer Banks to vacation with friends and here I was, doing the same thing in their old stomping grounds.

The only bad things are one: that I, the self-proclaimed sunscreen police, somehow managed to get a sunburn on just one part of my body - hello bright red chest (on just one side)! And two: while I got sassy and wore a bikini, I have no pictures to document it.


Today I feel like a new person - rested and alert. Thank goodness because I have to go grocery shopping and finish unpacking tonight.

No comments: