Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Holiday Feasting


I am very proud of my chef of a husband. Just look at his fine cuisine! For Christmas eve, we ate this delectable feta cheese & veggie pasta, which Lane was able to master after an intensive learn by doing course provided by my mom the last time she was visiting us.

On Christmas morning, I got up early to make a fancy -schmancy breakfast for Lane. I made french toast. But I put tangerine zest and tangerine juice in the egg batter. I was sad that I didn't have enormously thick toast to use, but improvised. I toasted two slices of bread and then slathered them with goat cheese, pressed them together, and then battered and made french toast with those "sandwiches". I also mashed up some fresh strawberries with a splash of balsamic vinegar to top the french toast. I roasted breakfast potatoes and fried up some ham for side dishes and Lane concocted a delicious berry smoothie to top it all off. We were so stuffed we couldn't even finish.

For Christmas dinner, I seared some bacon wrapped filet mignon and made a gravy with red wine, fresh garlic, and butter. We had herbed mashed potatoes and sauteed asparagus. When we went in the kitchen to put away the left over food, the aroma of my red wine gravy filled the air. When I commented about how good it smelled, Lane was quick to point out that it was because it had been cooking the whole time. That explained why the pan was all dark yucky looking. I was *so* looking forward to that on top of my lunchtime mashed potatoes today.

2 comments:

kljackson15 said...

Wow. That's all I can say about this most delightful entry. You are incredible my dear!

banananutmeg said...

Elena you should know that i blurk on your blog when i am hungry...then pretend that velveeta shells and cheese I'm eating is whatever you two cooked up last weekend. Usually, I just end up wishing you were my neighbor so I could bum your leftovers!

My neighbors on either side are in their 80's and everything they cook is deep fried. Also good....but also not butternut squash ravioli...or whatever that wonton goodness you made a few months ago was.