Monday, December 17, 2007

One more person in the know.

We knew we were taking a chance in David finding out our big news over the weekend. The instant I walked in the door he started offering me drinks – margarita? Beer? Wine? Gin & Tonic? Uhm, no, no and no.. After that, I surprisingly made it through a dinner with three other people and two bottles of wine without suspicion. It was a little hard though when the waiter brought out a glass of wine on the house for me.

Later that night, we went to one of David’s favorite hangouts where the manager insisted on buying us drinks. David said I needed one, that I hadn’t had anything all night. When I politely declined, he told me how rude it was of me to not accept the offer. I realized that we couldn’t go on much further like this, especially since a sushi dinner, cocktails, and karaoke bar madness were in store later that weekend.

When I explained that I *couldn’t* have a drink, David looked so confused. Suddenly, he gasped, put both hands to his mouth, and wide-eyed asked, “are you pregnant?!?!?!?” He immediately got tears in his eyes, gave me the biggest hug, and told me how long he’d been waiting for this for us, and what an amazing mother I’d be. It was super duper sweet. Later on, David actually threw his arms up in joy, as if having witnessed a soccer goal and yelled, “My sister’s having a baby!!!” Even the next morning, he woke up saying over and over again how happy he was for us.

And for as many times as he expressed his happiness, I reminded him that he needed to keep it a super duper top secret until after Christmas. At first, I was worried that he’d blab to everyone, but he promised not to, and really gets a kick out of being the only one in the family who knows. I gave him full permission to tell his friends and co-workers, in hopes that this would get the telling itch out of his system.

It was really weird hanging out with a bunch of people and not having this big secret. No one looked at me weird when I just had water to drink at the bar, people were giving up their seats for me, and they didn’t think it was strange when I used the restroom over and over and over again. I realized how much I’ve been holding back my own excitement – not really talking about it except to Lane and very few others.

Can’t wait for everyone to finally be “in the know”.

No comments: