Monday, December 3, 2007

Miami y el resto del fin de semana

After a short recovery from Thanksgiving madness and requisite left-over feasting, I headed off to Miami for a couple of days to teach class at the chapter on how to do Restoring Family Links casework.

It was kind of a shocker to leave 40 degree weather and arrive in Miami at 8:30 pm to twice the temperature and sticky hot humidity. When the chapter staff found out I was leaving right away, this little old lady insisted that she take a colleague and me out on the town to see at least some of Miami.
So we hopped into her little corolla with extremely tinted windows and made our way to the best Cuban restaurant in town. It’s called Versailles, and apparently all the bigwigs eat there when they’re in town. It’s also where all the Cubanos eat, and gather when there is big news. Rumor has it that when business is slow at Versailles, the owners leak to the media that Fidel Castro has died. I ate so much meat and plantains – fried, mashed, fried, flattened, and then fried again (tostones). And while I’m not a big coffee drinker at all, I really enjoyed Cuban coffee. They serve it in these tiny cups that are about the size of a large thimble. It’s somehow sweet and quite tasty.

Later, our gracious host drove us to South Beach where they had many restaurants and stores out by the Beach, tons of outdoor seating and WOW, were there a lot of lights in that city! Entire buildings were bright neon colors – some even changed color before my very eyes. Bridges were lit up with flashing pinkish purple lights. It was like being in Las Vegas or something. I flew home early on Friday evening.

Lane and I ate at Kebab Palace on Friday night and got together with some friends to play games on Saturday night. It was a relaxing weekend, very welcome after almost a week of Thanksgiving overeating and entertaining.

We’ve been without a dishwasher for a week and a half now. Hopefully, a new one will be waiting to greet us in our kitchen tonight.

1 comment:

morethangray said...

What a whirlwind!

How lucky to have been shown around by a local, especially when good food is concerned! I didn't have the chance to taste much of the food when I was in Miami a few years ago, but I did pass a nice afternoon on the playa with soft white sand and amazingly warm water.