Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Preggers in Miami

Baby Grover is barely seven weeks old and has already traveled to the Dominican Republic and most recently, Miami. All I have to say is goodbye window seats and hello aisle seats. I've always loved sitting by the window and getting a little preview of my destination before even landing. Another benefit has been not being bothered when other people have to get in and out of their seats throughout the entire flight. Well, that is who I have become. It took one flight of being seated next to two tall men, who were fully engaged in their reading and video watching, behind an entire row of people with reclined seats to learn that it just wasn't meant for me anymore. As soon as I got to the airport for the return flight, I promptly switched to an aisle seat.

It's hard to eat properly when you're limited to Cuban restaurant food. It's quite delicious, but full of tons of meat, various fried foods, plantains, plantains, and more plantains, buttery and unhealthy pastries, and very few vegetables, salads, or calcium. After I got home, we spent Sunday at the grocery store stocking up on lots of fresh fruits and veggies and healthy snacks to eat throughout the day. I've been feeling a lot hungrier lately, but also get full much faster.

Over lunch one day with Miami chapter volunteer, she learned that I had been married for seven years, and when I responded to a question of hers saying I didn't have any kids yet, she immediately asked if I had considered adoption. I was kind of taken by surprise by that response. I guess some people don't just spend time enjoying each other's company after getting married or there's automatically something wrong with you if you don't have kids. And there she was thinking how sad it was to be me, unable to get pregnant, when in fact I was exactly that. I told her we planned on having some kids of our own, and yes, we'd actually talked about adopting also, but that's not in our immediate future. I guess I should start getting used to personal/intruding questions and how to graciously respond.

My first doctor appointment is tomorrow.

No comments: