Friday, December 21, 2007

It's Christmas Time in the City!


Christmas time is turning out to be quite exciting. We have had our tree up for weeks now, and let me say, it is a beauty! I love that so many of our ornaments have special meaning - like the one that is engraved with our wedding date and names for our first christmas, or the elf engraved with Lane's name that he's had since he was little, or my Chaney ornaments, or the handmade felt ones from Lane's mom, 0r the snowflakes we made together (seriously, I could go on for days).


I received specific instructions to not wait until Christmas to open my present from Meliss, my awesome, super duper creative and Christmas-loving sister-in-law. I don't know how she found the time to make me such wonderful gifts, but boy was I happy to get a cutsie bird christmas ornament, adorable Christmas placemats, that can be reversed and used for Valentine's Day, and a beautiful matching double sided Christmas apron made with vintage buttons from Grandma Chaney. Thank you, Meliss!!


Lane's parents sent us a delightful Tower of Treats from Harry & David which we have started to enjoy. And today we got the sweetest magnet of Claire & Natalie in the mail. We can now look at their darling faces all year round.

I have been really lagging in sending out Christmas cards. I barely got them out in today's mail. So, if you don't live on the east coast, you probably won't get your card until after the holidays, I'm embarassed to admit. I was also a little sad since we had only received a very small handful of cards so far. I was starting to wonder if people forgot about us out on the east coast.

Not so. Today, after dropping off some cards for our lovely friends we've made in the building, I got a huge stack of season's greetings in the mail! As I opened each one, they made me laugh and smile for different reasons. Our DC friends Ben & Raquel said that their grandmother's cooking doesn't quite taste the same after having eaten my cooking, our Hawaii friends Andrew & Malia miss Neil Diamond (Lane), Taryn & Parker, the kids I used to nanny for are now SEVENTEEN and THIRTEEN!!! I think they were 7 and 3 when I started working with them. Taryn is applying for college!! Cati & Noal got us a funny card, as usual, and my sister sent the most darling card with pictures of Andrew.

We have a four day weekend in store for us, filled with friendly visits, good eats (although I haven't quite decided on the menu yet), spending lovely time together, sleeping in, a viewing of The Christmas Story and the excitement in waiting for the actual big holiday.

Happy Holidays!!!

1 comment:

Scott said...

Thought I would comment on how much I like this post.

Too many of the Christmas posts I see, including mine, are me me me. This way is better.