Saturday, July 19, 2008

Birth Center Update

Well, folks I called the midwives to tell them I was exhausted - the only sleep I've gotten in the past three nights has been drifting off to sleep for maybe 10 minutes at a time in between contractions and how frustrated I was and to ask what the heck I could do to get things going in the right direction.

The midwife on call was at the birth center and suggested we come in to talk about what we could do. She also said this was very typical for first time moms, and not to be TOO surprised or upset if I hadn't progressed much from my last exam on Thursday. Before we walked in the door Lane and I talked about how we shouldn't be focused or frustrated by what the midwife said. My focus was getting some tips from her.

She said I had gone from 1 cm Thursday to between 3 & 4 today, and that getting to 5 was the hardest part. After I'm there, I can be admitted to the center. My cervix is super duper soft and the baby is down low. She said she wouldn't be surprised at all if I was back there to deliver before the night is through. Let me just tell you that I burst into tears. I was so unprepared for GOOD news that I didn't know how to react. What a relief.

She says to focus on resting, eating every 2 hrs and drinking 8 oz every hour and sent me off with a big hug.

Baby isn't in the *best* position right now, but she gave us some tips to help encourage her to scooch into the right one.

And there you have it. Keep thinking those good thoughts - they are working!

No comments: