Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Good Ol' Times

One thing I really miss about being away from my family are the fantabulous bbq's my brother David used to host in Gilroy. Every night was a feast. We'd have good eats, share some wine, and lots of laughs.

This guy saved me during Hurricane Katrina when I was working ridiculous hours and coming home exhausted and zombie-like. I'd stop at his place, eat dinner, and then bring a plate home to Lane.

Well, the bbq master is back in town! He and Tatiana and Luis Carlos are here for a week. David swapped houses/apts with a lady in Woodley Park for the week so he's staying in a super sweet 100 yr old house for the week for free. Last night he had us over for dinner and it was just like the good ol' bbq days in Gilroy.

We shared grilled shrimp marinated in fresh lime zest and juice with some garlic, grilled steaks, garlic bread, grilled and marinated squash, some orzo cooked in chicken stock with fresh parsley and onions, and a delightful caesar salad with avocado. We ate outside on the patio, the boys had some wine, we stayed up late and talked and laughed, it was fabulous. It was even worth the couple of bug bites I got.

I haven't made any fabulous kitchen creations lately, so this was definitely a welcomed treat.

We also came to the realization that Lane and David are just like my dad and HIS brother-in-law, my Uncle Dale. Those two are best buds, always have a great time together, and sometimes even get into trouble together.

No comments: