Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Birthworks is the best!

We went to our first childbirth class last night. It was actually the last class of the previous session. The instructor suggested we attend this class on postpartum and breastfeeding, so we don't miss it in case Baby Grover is born early. (The last class is scheduled for July 1)

Susan, our instructor, holds classes in her home. There are no more than 6 couples and it's a really intimate, friendly setting. Everyone raved about how wonderful the class was and how they'd all gotten to know each other very well and how much better they felt about the process.

I'm really looking forward to learning tools to help us through the birthing process, to becoming more confident about it all, and also to make some good friends along the way. I just wanted to hug Susan when we left!

I think this class is right up my alley. I even cried last night when class was ending (oh, the hormones!) but seriously, we lit a candle and said this blessing:

Bless these babies' minds that they may be filled with wisdom and dreams
Bless these babies' eyes that they may have clarity of vision and see goodness.
Bless these babies' hearts that they may give and receive love.

I bless this baby to be filled with my unending love. From the center of my heart, I nurture, guide and teach this child and wish the best upon this precious new soul.

Actually, I read along, I was too busy crying to vocalize the words.

I have such a good feeling, not only about this class, but this insanely calm feeling about giving birth. I don't really feel scared or intimidated. I only hope this feeling continues and gets stronger as we get closer (only 11 weeks to go!).

Looking forward to class next week.

No comments: